The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
6,815 Posts
I seldom buy rifles that I see and fall in love with , not because of the price but because they are just beautiful works of art too me. I am brutal with my firearms and would upset me if I scratched or marred one of them. I paid almost $3000 for my sharps and 2 days later it has a huge scar on the barrel. Like I said I am brutal. I don't mind paying for functionality and as was stated the tikka out of the box is an extremely accurate rifle. Mine shoot sub-moa 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Sako makes Tikka.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
53 Posts
You won't go wrong with a Sako or a Tikka. If I were buying one, I would pick up a used Sako. ********* is a good place to look for one. You should be able to pick up a nice rifle and put a good quality scope on it for less than the $1600 you were planning to spend. Then you will have an excellent rifle you won't want to upgrade later.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Have you bought either one?
Yes, How many Mausers or Mannlicher/Schoenauer's you wanna know about? Weatherby's, not my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
i went hunting with a group of buddy's one time. in camp the first night one member of the group said a big fine buck came up to him and told him it would not be found dead from the brand of rifle he was carrying. so what does that tell you?

rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I had three Sako's, two L61's and an L461. Paid about $89 each in the service stationed in Germany. Today the price range you can buy rifle's in is huge and unless you can actually afford even $800 for a rifle, it's not worth it. Once you go beyond what you can actually afford, it's all stroking your ego.Mossberg, Savage and Ruger make some nice rifle's for under $800!

·
TFF Chaplain
20,113 Posts
it would not be found dead from the brand of rifle he was carrying. so what does that tell you?
I think they were telling tall tales.

In some ways, guns are like clothes. You can go for name brand and style and pay for it, or go for cheap and function. I go for function: does it hit what I'm aiming at reliably? Expensive guns will do that, so will guns within my budget.
I see shotguns on sale over here in the $20-30,000 range. Do I want one? No. I have a used Benelli semi-auto I got for @ $120 (I think) and it does me just fine. My other guns were within my limited budget and do what I need them to do.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Not sure if I’d suggest dropping $1600 plus the cost of appropriate optics without understanding what type of hunting you’re planning on doing. In some parts of this great country you won’t be shooting past 75 yards. Then on the other hand? If you have the cash then get whatever you like. If money were no object I’d have one of these in my safe.....and only $125,000.00

Exactly! Doubles are wonderful!

·
TFF Chaplain
20,113 Posts
I go for function: does it hit what I'm aiming at reliably? Expensive guns will do that, so will guns within my budget.
I have to add that if quality makes clothes or a gun function better, I'll save up and get the quality when I can afford it.

Reactions: pdkfishing

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
"Functional works of art" I have some of those and a few do shoot better. A few shoot the same as a good quality, reasonably priced rifle. None shoot any worse and they're a joy to own and behold. So is the simple and unadorned as long as the quality is there.

Of the two firearms I'm most likely to grab to use, one is a functional work of art. A Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling with full coverage oak leaf engraving in 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R. The other is a Husqvarna in 9.3 X 57 built on a '96 Mauser I gave less than $300 for from Simpson's.

If a person desires a good quality, very reasonably priced hunting rifle he will struggle to find any more value or quality for the money as he will get for a between the wars up to end of production Husqvarna on a Mauser action.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey gents- I was doing some research on a new hunting rifle and found an article that said the number one grab was the new Sako S20. Not sure if $1600 is worth it or if anyone has heard good things? Any suggestions on a new setup would be aprecited thanks in advance.
I'vehad three old Sako's, 2 L61's and an L461. Worth every penny I paid for them Got them while stationed in Germany in about 1965, $89 each! The new Sako's are way out of my league but I'd bet they are nice rifles. Got a new rifle in 243 abut a year ago. Cost me $299 plus I sent off for a factory wood stock for it at ablut another $150. Mossberg Patroit. I'd like to say it will last at least another 30 years but I'm not gonna live that long! I wouldn't suggest getting one for a custom though as I'm not real sure of that plastic magazine carried and insert but but with reasonable care bet it would last a long time. I had a 65.x55put together for the ex years ago. Found a Parker-Hale 1200 in 25-06 and had it re-done with a Shilen barrel. Couple hundred for the Parker-Hale at a gun show then had the barrel replaced with a Shilen match barre. Had about $800 in it. Great shooting gun. B*tch took it when she snuck out of here!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'vehad three old Sako's, 2 L61's and an l461. Worth every penny I paid for them Got them while stationed in Germany in about 1955, $89 each! The new Sako's are way out of my league but I'd bet they are nice rifles. Got a new rifle in 243 abut a year ago. Cost me $299 plus I sent off for a factory wood stock for it at ablut another $150. Mossberg Patroit. I'd like to say it will last at least another 30 years but I'm not gonna live that long! I wouldn't suggest getting one for a custom though as I'm not real sure of that plastic magazine carried and insert but but with reasonable care bet it would last a long time. I had a 65.x55put together for the ex years ago. Found a Parker-Hale 1200 in 25-06 and had it re-done with a Shilen barrel. Couple hundred for the Parker-Hale at a gun show then had the barrel replaced with a Shilen match barre. Had about $800 in it. Great shooting gun. B*tch took it when she snuck out of here!
Solid pricing there for your setup. I like the idea of seeing what I can find here and try to improve

21 - 34 of 34 Posts