The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a little more info on a Husqarna 243 Win. that I recently acquired. What I found so far it looks like it is possibly a model 1600 with a 1640 action and it has a 20.5" barrel I think they considered it a 52 cm The barrel is marked "Husqvarna Vapenfabriks A.B. .243 Win on top of the barrel and the ser. # is 236 xxx A I think is was made about 1959. It has had a stock replacement well done except it has a wild and high cheek piece, is still about a 85-90% original blue, the original sights has been removed and blanks inserted for the scope that is on it. If there is anyone that can verify or tell me more about this great little rifle I would like to hear from you.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Pictures; top, bottom, both sides of the entire rifle, pictures of any proof marks or other stampings. Without pictures, I got nuthin'.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Based off a mauser. Has a release on the left and a slide safety that is different, I like them. Great rifles that are worth making a myrtlewood stock for, in a traditional form. Made up to about 1967 because thats when my other favorite commercial mauser was produced, brno zkk 600.
Mine is in 30-06 and I paid $300 for it. Once a stock is made for it I will never get rid of mine(or the 67 brno zkk 600).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based off a mauser. Has a release on the left and a slide safety that is different, I like them. Great rifles that are worth making a myrtlewood stock for, in a traditional form. Made up to about 1967 because thats when my other favorite commercial mauser was produced, brno zkk 600.
Mine is in 30-06 and I paid $300 for it. Once a stock is made for it I will never get rid of mine(or the 67 brno zkk 600).
This the first husqvarna that I have had the chance to get and work with, even though it has a wild restock job that will have to be reworked or replaced. What info I have found is from the website of( www.REX.GL/serials HTM) from that site it looks to be a model 1600 with a 1640 action the ser. # shows made in 1959. It has the 52 cm barrel . I think I am reading the information correctly. If you have better information I would like hear about it. If not I will still enjoy owning and shooting it.

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Wow...that is a wild stock!! Almost looks as if they were trying to emulate a Schuetzen stock. On that late a Husky I'll defer to myrt. I have on from the 30's in 9.3 X 57 and am more familiar with the pre-war models.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
9,684 Posts
You missed the important stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Missed stuff??
I'll try again. Small ring mauser that cocks on opening. It's built to the high quality that all german mausers are known for but just changed a couple things like the bolt release and safety for commercial use. One of the rifles I think should be referred to when talking about getting a first rifle. Made from early 60's (I want to say 1959) to to mid 60's (I want to say 1967) and there are not a bunch of options for them. No double set triggers, fancy stocks, or target models in single shot.
Not alot of the model 1600's around because they quickly changed to a cheaper model. Some rifles are hard to make stocks look good and function for ( model 1917 remington jumps to mind) and then some like the husqvarna 1600's are a dream. Actually, the husqvarna 1600 and the g33/40 are my favorite small ring mausers for stocking. Some day I want to be as good as Willie Karl!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Some projects that need stocks - BAD!
Top is my 30-06 Husqvarna #173^^^ , 1967 brno zkk 600 in middle, bottom is a g33/40. Now that I picked up the husqvarna the stock is not as plain as I was thinking. Forgot it had checkering, white line spacer, and a nice forend tip.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,005 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the stocks on them, except maybe the one on top. It is a little rough around the butt.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How much was the importing companies Tradewinds Husky "cheapened" from the other Husqvarna models? Anyone know? I have Dad's from the late 50's maybe very early 60's in 30-06. I know the trigger is not the greatest, but it looks so similar to the others. The top rifle in the add is what I have now...
s-l1000.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nobody has ever called me normal. Don't have credit cards, phones, tv's, and only reason for a computer is my vet is half way across the state so sending pictures of dog problems is better then driving to the vet. Never been to any of the big gun places like cabobo's or Simpson's.
Trying to make myrtlewood stocks for rifles like the ones pictured above is time consuming and replaces alot of normal activities. A great trigger & stock is what sets a rifle apart from the rest for me. A certain length with exact drops made of myrtle is all that is needed before the 3 rifles are no longer projects. Just really happy the inletting is original so its easy to copy inletting patterns on the terrco.
Grizzly2 - I'm grabbing a bag of 30-06 and heading to your house as fast as possible to shoot a rifle never dreamed could ever exist. A 30-06 that weighs under 2 pounds. 1.9ozs to be exact like the article states. Have spent thousands getting a stainless long range light weight hunting rifle and all I could pull off was 5 pounds. I laughed harder at that weight then I laughed all day, loved that.
If your rifle has the tiny bolt release on the left side like in the op's second picture then its the same. And that is what every one should take away from all these words - Look for that bolt release on Husqvarna's and you found a wonderful commercial small ring Mauser! Some devalue importers, Sears, JC Higgins, Savage (Anschutz). Being able to look at, pick up, purchase, take home and own any gun on earth overshadows who brought it and stamped it or how it got here to me. Just looking at the Tradewinds Rifles ad for a second gets my full attention. I want to see Italian Walnut on your rifle. The middle rifle really interests me. Close my eyes and think rifles, say the description aloud a couple times = THATS A KRICO! Open my eyes and look at the picture and I'm confused.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
I myself like the snobble tip.

Just remember that ads were dreamed up by advertising men who didn't know anything about the product, and then the type was set by people that occasionally make errors in what they're writing.

A perfect example of errors. You comment on the light weight. The ad says 1 pound 9 ounces. You wrote 1.9 ounces. Vast difference.

Reactions: Grizzly2

·
Registered
553 Posts
Personally, I don't care for the looks of the Italian Walnut. It's dark and plain, but most likely very strong. Back in the late 50' someone's writing must have really influenced Dad about Scandinavian rifle manufacturing because he replaced his Model 99 300 Savage that had a cracked stock with this Husky and bought me a Sako. Now that Sako had some beautiful French walnut and actually came with a peep sight from the factory.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts