The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad have me his Husqvarna hunting rifle before he died. He always called it a "feather weight" Husqvarna 30-06. It only weighs 7.6 pounds unloaded. It has the marking 308 on the barrel. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what this rifle is and what it is worth with the scope included.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
It isn't a 30-06, it is a 308 Winchester. Were it 30-06, that's what it would say. It's built on a 98 Mauser action but I don't know if Husqvarna sourced them or made them in house. It appears to be in excellent condition. I'm not well enough versed to offer a value. Alpo knows a lot more about Husqvarna's than I do.

Just FYI, until Husqvarna ceased firearms production, I believe in the 1970's, they were the second oldest firearms manufacturing concern in the world. They began production in 1689 and are second only behind Beretta.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Husqvarna Model 1640, made in 1959, made from 1953 to 1967. The barrel is stamped for .308 Winchester, are you sure it''s chambered for 30/06?
From what I can see in the pics, value is about $500-$550.
Sharps, we were posting at the same time. The 1640 is a Husky re-design of the 98, in a small ring profile, and made with Swede steel. Herters used to sell the 1600 and 1640 as the J-9 and U-9. The 1600 was a FN commercial action.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I know all the 1600's were the same action length, I can't say for certain if the 1640 was. I do know that Husky started making a Short and Long action, but I can't remember what model that started with. A re-chamber from .308 to '06 would be fairly simple,...if it's a long action. A chamber cast could be done to verify. Easiest way, if it doesn't chamber an '06. An '06 will chamber a .308. No ammo to check? Pack thin gauge aluminum foil nice and tight into the chamber, and carefully push it out.
Shadetree chamber cast, but good enough to determine either/or in this case. .308 is 51mm long, '06 is 63mm long.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
I once bought an M1 Garand at a gun show. When I got home, I took it out on the back deck to see how it shot. I grabbed a couple rounds of 30.06 and when I tried to chamber one, it would not fit in the chamber. Went back in the house and brought a .308 round out and it chambered and fired just fine.

If your rifle came with some 30.06 rounds, see if one will chamber. If it does then there is a really good chance that it actually is a 30.06.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

It chambers the 30-06 ammo i have nicely.... so i think he must have had it re-chambered. He liked this rifle because it was so light... he was in his 80's.

Trapp, you put the value at $500-550. Is that with the scope or without. Also, since it has been re-chambered to 30-06, is it worth more or less? Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
With scope, the rechamber is a good question. In 1959 the .308W was only out for 7yrs, and surplus '06 was plentiful/cheap. The biggest problem pricing it, is they are kind of rare to find for sale, especially the featherweight carbines. The few I could find that sold, ranged from no-scope at $495, up to $700 with a scope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earlier this evening, i posted this rifle for sale on Armslist for $900.00. I'm gonna see what I can get for it. Heck, i can always lower the price. Now... I hesitate. But....

My Dad died 2 months ago. He was 90 years old. About a year and a half ago, the doctors told him he had Parkinson’s disease. He was an engineer who made missiles for most of his life... during the cold war. He did a lot of hunting, cowboy shooting, reloading. It's silly but I remember teaching him how to dress out a dove when he was 65. His hands were shaking. Anyway, in recent months, he started to have problems functioning. I’ve always known that there was no way my Dad was gonna end up in a nursing home. He wasn't DEPRESSED. He wasn't MENTALLY ILL. He was an atheist…. He took his own life on May 11th. I don’t know whether to be upset or proud. To him, it was a practical solution to an intractable problem. The police department notified me that they’re gonna release his revolver to me next week…. I hate to sell this rifle, but I'll never use it and I'm moving to Mexico cause I'm more free there than in the U.S. Anyway, life goes on….. until it doesn’t!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts