Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Hy Hunter

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Gabob, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

What is value of Hy Hunter .22Magnum over/under Derringer? Made in Germany . 100% condition except small crack in one grip. I have the holster and original instruction manual. No box.

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the hy hunter double derringers were imported in the late 1950's through the 1960's. none of the major pricing guide list them or the hawes double derringer. when offere for sale they are usually priced between $65 at 60% up to about $150 at 100% conditions. the crack in the grip is quite common as people generally over thighten the grip on this pistol but it will effect value. the best information i have found on these german manufactured derringers is in the german gun magazine VISOR from 1997 but i can't read it because it is written in german.

these derringers were manufactured by a german company who were metal crafter but had no experence at gun making until after wwII. the name KRACHIE stood for karl schieder metal works. whose main buisness before wwII was manufacturing cigarette lighters.

i own one of the double derringers in 22LR purchased new in 1965 (for $19.95)complete with a wooden presentation case.
    bill

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Bill, your references are undoubtedly better than mine but my sources show that Hy Hunter Derringers were primarily made by Rohm GMbH

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

rjay,
    these double derringers are better built than any RG. HY HUNTER in the latter days may have purchased some firearms from RG but i have found no direct reference to any Hy Hunter made by RG. HY Hunter did import revolvers manufactured by GRESTENBERGER & EBERWEIN also imported as EM-GE. hy hunter's single action imports were the earliest manufactured by sauer, which were very well made. the sucess of ruger, hy hunter and great western single actions prompted colt to put their single action army back in production.

i have physically studied many hy hunter double derringer and the hawes version an all were marked under the grips with the KASCHIE trade name. but since i haven't studied all the hy hunter double derringers i can't be 100% sure. hy hunter was an early wheeler dealer in califorina out to make a buck any way he could. after the company with his name was shut down (not by him) he formed hawes and after hawes i read where he got into california real estate.
    bill

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I had one of these many years ago and I seem to recall that it had cast metal barrels with steel liners. Is that right?

6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That's intersecting Bill, thanks. I knew most of the history behind Hy Hunter but not the derringer bit. Once upon a time I also had one of the little boogers. . Got mine from The Rod and Gun Club in Germany in 66

7. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

That appears to be the case

Thanks for all the info folks

Bob

8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the barrels were cast but they were steel. the liner was only to bring a 38 special/357 bore down to 22 caliber. sauer used the same method on the full size single action revolvers sleeved large bore and cylinder to bring it down to 22 caliber.

after discovering the KASCHIE trade mark back in the 1960 i finally found information on it about 10 years ago. the article in the 1997 issue of VISER also has reference to revolvers manufactured by a company using the trade mark EUSTA. if only i could read german. trying to translate using a german-english dictionary has proved very flustrating for me. i had to get a very helpful editor of VISER to translate the review they printed of my iver johnson book and the word for word translation is a little confusing for me and i know basically what they are saying.
    bill

9. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Sleeving a bore down from .357 to .22 RF is no small task. You have to precisely off center the .22 bores and/or you have to change the hammer/firing pin.