Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar Bore Cleaner?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/13/02 10:55:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar?? Bore cleaner??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anybody hear anything about using this in a 50-50 combination to clean dark bores in mil-surp rifles. Sounds interesting and cheap enough. Anyone with any experience with it??? swede
    Wyoming Swede

Bompa
    (10/13/02 1:31:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar?? Bore cleaner??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recall it was discussed on an other forum and someone had
    real bad luck with it..Can't remember exactly but maybe
    bad rusting or corrosion..Said that it was not good for the barrel..
    I don't think I would try it..FP-10 works great...

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/14/02 7:39:58 am)
    I think I had heard something like this on another board. But the solution was used in conjunction with a home-made anode setup using batteries and such. It was an hours-long process that used the chemical properties with low-voltage DC electricity to clean the fouling and corrosion and such out of the bore. It looked pretty slick to me. I'll have to search around and see if I can find the web page that described the process.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/14/02 1:21:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar?? Bore cleaner??
    That combination of an oxidizer and a weak acid is guaranteed to cause rust and pitting if left in contact with steel for any appreciable time.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/14/02 1:45:44 pm)
    Right. As I recall, this method using DC voltage in the solution was described as a "last-ditch" effort to save an otherwise unusable bore. And it was highly recommended that you pay close attention to the progress. I've never tried it, so I can't say whether it works or what the long-term effects would be.

WyomingSwede, does this sound like what you heard? Or was it just a mixture to swab the bore with?

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/15/02 6:35:23 am)
    I was told to cap the chamber with some putty and leave in bore no loger than 10 minutes. Then flush with a gallon of boiling water. It was said to be hard on the finish.
    Then clean as usual. Thats what I know.
    swede
    Wyoming Swede

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/15/02 7:15:19 am)
    Is this for an extremely dirty bore that nothing else will work on?

ssurell
    (10/17/02 2:37:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del what about naval gelly
    that stuff you put on rust, it foams up then you rinse it off with water. Leaves metal nice an shiny, but you have to oil right away cause it will rust within minutes.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/17/02 11:35:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: what about naval gelly
    I like "Gun Bright" myself!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/02 7:26:16 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: what about naval gelly
    Naval jelly will eat right through bluing... just keep that in mind.

jonkx
    (11/4/02 9:23:42 pm)
    I have tried it. It really removes lead well. Put a sodden patch through and let soak for a few minutes but no longer. Then start cleaning. It can mess up the finish though, and be sure to flush with water, dry then clean as usual.

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/7/02 10:30:05 am)
    I ran thi sby my wife the chemistry major. She said probably the peroxide would bubble and foam alot and oxidize the organic components of the sludge, and the acid in the vinegar would help keep the metal from rusting, which it would normally do when wet oxygen is applied to it. She said the phosporic acid in the naval jelly would work better than vinegar, and suggests using white vinegar, which is a petroleum product, rather than cider vinegar, which is salad dressing.

But she added that was just a guess.

The mystery masked man was smart, he got himself a Tonto, 'cause Tonto did the dirty work for free.
    But Tonto he was smarter, and one day said "Kemosabe, kiss my ass I bought a boat I'm going off to sea."
    -L.Lovett.

{ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR}{Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen Shop}