The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you currently owned a nice Rock River LAR 15 that you paid $900 for just before the McCain-Obama election just because you had the money and you thought now or never to own one and in past craziness was offered $1500 for it and turned it down, but since then similar ones were $5-600 so you weren’t going to get your money out of it anyway so wth it has that nice match trigger you’d keep it, but at the last gun show in November ‘20 you put it out on your table for $1100 with some extras which you thought was way too much but you didn’t want to sell it anyway but thought it might generate lookers until you actually got a few offers for $1000 that you turned down and pulled it because you found out you were not too far off on price and we’re scared you’d might actually sell it...

...but that was before the election and this “buy back” and banning talk with no faith the Repubicans will fight enough even if they had the votes which they don’t...so since it’s “on paper” I COULD “lose it” to the government for a pittance...so there’s the “investment” angle...

...and I (I mean YOU😎) have enough other guns that aren’t “assault weapons”🤮 and/or are “off paper” so I can protect and support myself in case of “socio-economic collapse” for hunting or “otherwise...”

...and you realize in the 12 years you owned it you haven’t put much more than 500 rounds through it, and 250 of those were the one year you took it P‘doggin, until you “replaced” it with a handy 5.56 bolt action Mossberg that still takes all your spare 30 round mags and ammo and is a HELLUVA lot more accurate and you don’t have to get down on your knees to pick up brass for reloading..so the LAR has been pretty much a “safe queen” since then...

...and you like having “walking around money” at shows for off paper “targets of opportunity”....plus you wouldn’t mind one more go at CMP for another Garand or 03A3...or else an M1A or a Mossberg Predator in 7.62 Nato because I still need a .308...

....AND you have a table at the big Gun Show this weekend, which with the way things are going might be the LAST “real” gun show allowed by law😡...

Would you think about selling it?🤔😎😉

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Reminds me of the one (AR) that I have now. Not sure how much I could get ($$$) out of it but I know it hasn't seen daylight in almost two years and probably won't any time soon. Time for it to go "Down The Road". Sure isn't the $$$. It needs to be put to use by someone other than me. It, and it's extra upper.
As far as your post? Should have said "Should I sell it"? Short and sweet.

·
Super Moderator
11,183 Posts
Considering selling a gun Polish?
you are serious, I cant believe it.
The ones I have parted ways with haunt me daily, why did I sell that Colt police positive why did I give my cousin that Interarms 243 I killed so many deer with. why did I give my nephew the Mauser 98 sporter his dad gave me. and my Son... my God he now has half the guns I ever bought WHY why why.

·
10,056 Posts
Same with my AK, it sees daylight every 2 or 3 years. It costs too much every time I shoot it, 200 to 300 rounds each time, I love shooting that gun.

Considering selling a gun Polish?
you are serious, I cant believe it.
The ones I have parted ways with haunt me daily, why did I sell that Colt police positive why did I give my cousin that Interarms 243 I killed so many deer with. why did I give my nephew the Mauser 98 sporter his dad gave me. and my Son... my god he now has half the guns I ever bought WHY why why.
That's why my Grandson doesn't get mine till I'm dead, I don't want to cry myself to sleep at night.

·
Premium Member
19,745 Posts
I bought a Ruger AR15 because they were on sale real cheap. $490 at my LGS new in the box. I only shot it 2 times. I brought it down to the TFF BBQ. Since I can double my money on it I gave a thought on selling it. That didn't last long. My son bought me a scope for it that cost almost as much as the rifle. I guess I will take the gamble on the government taking it. I have never sold a gun and won't start with this one.

·
10,056 Posts
I bought a Ruger AR15 because they were on sale real cheap. $490 at my LGS new in the box. I only shot it 2 times. I brought it down to the TFF BBQ. Since I can double my money on it I gave a thought on selling it. That didn't last long. My son bought me a scope for it that cost almost as much as the rifle. I guess I will take the gamble on the government taking it. I have never sold a gun and won't start with this one.
The only gun I don't have now is a .22 pistol I bought for $5.00 when I was about 13 or 14, back in about 1967, after my Father found out I had it, it didn't stick around long.
He didn't get mad, it was just gone.
No, I never sold one either. I buy 'em to keep 'em.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That is a decision only you can make. I suggest that you think long and hard before making your decision...how are you going to feel in a couple of weeks about your decision, a year? JM2C

·
Registered
670 Posts
Someone, someday may need that; could be you, could be a family member. That's how I look at mine. I bought the last AR-15 in the lgs after the San Bernardino shooting when i saw their two ARs laying on the floor after the shooting. I simply decided then that if they were starting to use them on us, it was time to get one. Even though I didn't care that much for the few M16s i'd been issued, they are effective.

Turns out, this one was designed for 3 gun and was a bit heavy with a 18" .750" stainless barrel, but I liked how steady it held and bought it. The .389" target that came with it wasn't all that bad either. I've considered trading it or getting one that was lighter for the women, but not going without.

I'll just ride out the storm and see how things go. But, we all think differently and it's ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do whats right for you.

If you bought it as an investment the time is right to unload it (IMO).

(Unnessassary mumbo-jumbo)
If crap hits the fan (more than it already has), having an outlaw in your possesion will likely only bring unwanted attention. On the other hand what they dont know wont hurt you but you cant have it in your hand and have it hid at the same time so it would be pretty much useless. Grey is the new camo. The time to make a stand against the commies taking over has past I think - we are now in survival and self presservation mode. I think history will record the 2020 election as the weakest war ever fought - unfortunatly the victors get to right the history books. They are in the process of eliminating all legitamate opposition right now. As soon as they get that done you can kiss any rights we think we have good-bye. In 8 years we may be lucky to have the right to breath if it takes that long.

The way I see it is if it turns into an all out shooting war I would only need enough leverage to aquire one of their weapons that has plenty ammo that I dont have to buy and keep up with. The enemy we now face are not warriors or soldiers that have honor. They are back stabbers and worms that will not face you - they do not care what we have to say and are not interested in a public debate. They would simply take out a warrent, arrest you, or take you down and report anything they wanted to - to the public to make up and justify their actions. Ruby ridge bring back any memories. They are in control of the legal system and military so all they need is an excuse.

·
Premium Member
9,508 Posts
I would say NO. As far as I know I still have a 2nd amendment rights.
But I would like to see what there definition of Assault weapon is.
Right now I do not have any AR that fits into comie cumos definition of a assault weapon.
There are ways to do stuff to take it out of the assault weapon category and keep it.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve never had a problem selling a specific gun that does nothing for me, yes I regret a few (dozen) I’ve sold over the years but I always put the money to use buying another one. I have a core group that “I will never sell.” The several I have inherited are in that category, the .22 rifle that was my Xmas gift when I was 12, the first Mosin I bought with my CRFFL, a couple I’ve built, or competed with or hunted with....my kids and Grandkids will each get enough guns trust me😉.

Plus my son has a couple of ARs of his own...he developed his own love/hate relationship with his M4 in the Army.😎

But if I’ve never built a “relationship” with any eventually I want to turn them into something else, usually something old with “character” but still shootable.

I doubt I’ll be kicking any doors at my age, and if I have to I prefer a shotgun anyway. If I need a .223 I’d rather use my Predator anyway and make each shot count...

I have until Friday to make up my mind, I really appreciate all your opinions.

I kinda knew this would make a good discussion.

I truly admire all you guys who “never sold a gun.” You guys may have the right idea.

But on the other hand I was never “well off,” never destitute but never with much or any “extra” money either after paying bills and raising a family ....if I never sold a gun I’d also never got a chance to own and learn about and enjoy the literally hundreds I’ve had pass through my hands...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts