The Firearms Forum banner

I am getting Frustrated!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  spottedpony 
#1 ·
:mad:Does anyone know where I can buy some 0.454 and 0.375 swaged round lead balls for my danged pistols! I have now had a backorder at DGW for about three months and nothing is happening!

Or perhaps somebody can put me on to the source of 0.375 and 0.454 molds?
Thanks,

#2 ·
#3 ·
Steve - round ball moulds are still easy to get. Have you thought about maybe getting a set of Lee moulds? They are cheap and they are very simple to use. Lead for casting is as cheap and easy as you can get, 'specially if you go out to where ever you shoot and just pick it up and recyle it. I do that after a good rain - just walk out to the berms and there it is for the picking. I usually fill 3 large coffee cans in about 20 minutes.

All you really need to get started are the moulds, a dipper and a heavy pot or a cheap electric furnace to melt the lead in. After that you have a life time supply of bullets for your use. Nobody will be able to tell you that you can't have anymore bullets. All you need to concern yourself with will be powder and caps.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Didn't have them? Wow. Graf is my "go-to" place. If they ain't got it, I'll try Midway, but Midway is usually a little more. Midway's got more stuff, though.

#10 ·
Just a word of caution. Make sure the area you work with the lead is well ventilated. The fumes are nasty. Also, spilled lead tends to splatter when hot.
fred
Another no no, Never work in an area where any liquid may spill into your hot lead pot. A splash of water for example will cause a pot of molten lead to sputter and sizzle violently, splattering lead over a wide area, needless to say with an extreme burn danger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.