Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

I am looking for more information on this percussion rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Theduckmaster1, May 20, 2020.

1. Theduckmaster1

Theduckmaster1 New Member

I recently purchased this muzzleloader from a antique store for next to nothing. The guy I purchased it from said it is some sort of trade rifle. It has a octagonal to round barrel and it looks like there might be a crown above N. Ashmore. There is a aluminum band stamped with H and the letters H H T on the stock. The gun has a small patch on the stock where it is missing finish, there is some carving near the butt of the gun, and there is a crack near the end of the stock. Would this be worth restoring? Is there any value here?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    chaswea likes this.
  2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

N. Ashmore is who made the lock, not who made the gun.

Given that in the time period that a percussion fired fowling piece would have been from, aluminum wasn't a metal that would have been used.

I suspect the gun itself was probably made in Belgium and sold by mail order here in the US in the mid 20th century, someone installed an antique lock and did a poor job on the installation of it based on the putty used to fill in the gaps where this lock was smaller than the original lock's mortise.

I hope the next to nothing you paid for it was less then a hundred bucks.

3. Theduckmaster1

Theduckmaster1 New Member

Thanks for the information!

shootbrownelk and chaswea like this.
  4. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member

That's a LONG barrel--and am I seeing a swamped muzzle? It looks like the last few inches
    flare out a bit. I think it's a parts gun. Long half octagon/half round barrel from a Kentucky
    style rifle, old lock and a stock from something, or just carved out of a handy chunk of wood.
    The lock and barrel may be old, but the gun could have been assembled recently.
    Built as a wall hanger/decorator or as a functional gun? No idea.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  5. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Here is a copy of a page from a 1956 Steogers catalogue. This add just shows three of their offerings.

They used to sell these things as "decorator pieces" not intended to be fired from the late 40's into the 70's. We've had a few of them come through the shop. Some of them had barrels at least 50 inches in length. s-l1600[1].jpg

One Shot, sharps4590 and joe45c like this.