I bought this K-Bar

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Virginia Patriot, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:12 AM.

1. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

I bought this K-Bar a year or so ago at a flea market. Is there any way to find what era that this knife is from? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

20200728_151319.jpg 20200728_151307.jpg

Common Sense and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

My SWAG is 30 to maybe 40 years old.

The original Marine utility knife, whether made by Kabar or Camelus or whoever, was not stamped USMC. Kabar started doing that in the 80s.

They are still making them, and still stamping them USMC. But now the back half of the blade is serrated. That one has a smooth edge the entire length, so I'm thinking 1980 to 1995.

The newer ones - the ones with the half serrated blade - the handle is a light brown color. The sheath is also tan/light brown, and has USMC stamped into it. That was never done when it was an issue knife.

3. Virginia Patriot

Thank you for the info, I truly appreciate it!

4. KWM

KWM Active Member

I'm not sure if this can be

Not sure if can be blown up enough to read or not. It is my Marine Corp issue K-Bar from the late 50's and it was used when issued. Plainly stamped USMC
    knives 006.JPG

Virginia Patriot and sharps4590 like this.
  5. Virginia Patriot

Mine has USMC on one side and Ka-Bar Olean NY on the other side and brown stacked leather handle. I may never know for sure what era this knife is from, but I am interested in it's history. I do not know if it was Marine issued or not.