The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why, but I actually want to own a Smith & Wesson Model SW9F. Yes, you read that right. I want the original SIGMA!

So, what poorly designed flop of a gun do you secretly want and why?

For me, it is because I came of age as a shooter in the late '90s and grew up in a house of Beretta 92FS Italian Stallions, GLOCK perfection, and S&W Pre-Lock Revolver goodness.

A gun like the SIGMA never would have been allowed in our stable. Yet I have a dirty taboo lust for one, a deviant craving for such a wretched piece of plastic, made during the sinful days when S&W was owned by Tomkins PLC and the the Klinton Administration said we simple plebs couldn't own magazines greater than 10 rounds.

Why do I want one? Mostly because it is a relic of that bygone era. A time before the internet is what it is today. Before streaming services and YouTube reviewers. It is from a time when Shotgun News was like the Christmas season Toys R US catalog and reviews only came in two forms.

Gun rag publications and word of mouth at the local stop 'n rob gun shop where the counter monkeys and hanger-ons would say that as Vietnam era CIA Green Beret Navy SEAL, they tested the SIGMA on a super secret mission to Afghanistan to assassinate Leonid Brezhnev before the gun was made public.

This was to be S&W's answer to GLOCK and it utterly failed and I like having odd ball pieces in the collection. I like having guns that tried to make it but failed. Especially the odd balls from the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

But not the cheaply built guns. I'm not talking about guns like a Ring of Fire Saturday Night Special. I mean stuff from legit manufacturers that had commercial flops. The gun version of the Ford Edsel. Guns like the SIGMA or the Colt 2000 and Series 90 Double Eagle. Rifles like the HAC-7 or the Leader T2.

I have a fascination with those guns. All the "could have beens" but for bad marketing, bad input from lawyers, or just not good enough to be first place.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one. Hate the trigger. S&W rip-off from Glock. Glock sued S&W and won over design infringement.
I've shot them enough to know the trigger is bad. But that was done on purpose by S&W's marketing team. They thought replicating a double action revolver pull would make cops like the gun. Do you have an original SW9F or the later designed variants after the S&W/GLOCK lawsuit? I can say this, the SIGMA has a better trigger than my HK VP70Z.

· Super Moderator
29,730 Posts
I've shot them enough to know the trigger is bad. But that was done on purpose by S&W's marketing team. They thought replicating a double action revolver pull would make cops like the gun. Do you have an original SW9F or the later designed variants after the S&W/GLOCK lawsuit? I can say this, the SIGMA has a better trigger than my HK VP70Z.
Mine is a post lawsuit, 9VE.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
I have one in my IJ collection that isn't a "bad" gun, nor did it have poor marketing. It was just a little too niche with a rather unique trigger action.

The Model 36T trigger cocking revolver was built on the Supershot topbreak frame for bullseye shooting back in the 1930's. Instead of being a conventional SA/DA action the first pull of the trigger cocks and holds the hammer back then the second pull of the trigger is a light SA shot. The hammer could also be cocked back manually in the normal SA fashion.

The idea of the action was with single hand bullseye shooting you can keep the sights on target while not shooting a heavy DA pull. In reality you're still dealing with the heavier DA pull to cock the action with the added bonus of having to pull the trigger twice to make a shot.

Needless to say it wasn't in production very long and not a whole lot were made.

· Registered
914 Posts
Hah! "Bad Trigger"! Ladies and gents- I give you the all time CHAMPEEN Bad Trigger! The One- the ONLY!

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Hi-Standard DM-101. Carried in the hip pocket of many a police officer, this little 2 shot .22 Mag had a trigger pull that made it useful only to Shrek, Conan the Barbarian, and MAYBE Chuck Norris. IIRC the standard was 12 pounds of trigger pull.

Picked up one of these little jewels- it was LNIB, but the trigger runs a close second to the Hi-Standard

Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Rectangle

It has been suggested that polishing may help the trigger pull. Place it in a concrete mixer with a bucket of gravel and let run for a day.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hah! "Bad Trigger"! Ladies and gents- I give you the all time CHAMPEEN Bad Trigger! The One- the ONLY!

View attachment 286509
Hi-Standard DM-101. Carried in the hip pocket of many a police officer, this little 2 shot .22 Mag had a trigger pull that made it useful only to Shrek, Conan the Barbarian, and MAYBE Chuck Norris. IIRC the standard was 12 pounds of trigger pull.

Picked up one of these little jewels- it was LNIB, but the trigger runs a close second to the Hi-Standard

View attachment 286510

It has been suggested that polishing may help the trigger pull. Place it in a concrete mixer with a bucket of gravel and let run for a day.
The Hi-Standard still isn't as bad as the HK. The HK had a 18 pound trigger.

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,518 Posts
I own an AK variant. I so wanted it to be accurate that I took a welder to it to tack the side rail scope mount nuts yesterday. My thought was that the rail was slightly shifting in the holes in the receiver. I think I was right. It's still a horrible gun, but I couldn't live with a horrible gun that doesn't shoot consistently where I want it to. I'd say my work paid off when I shot it today. ;)

3 rounds at 50 yards...
Line Twig Beak Natural material Event

1 - 20 of 49 Posts