The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I responded to an ad for a HK91. Supposedly had been stored for 20 years or so before the seller inherited it. He was asking $3100.
He told me in looked brand new. I drove 100 miles to look at it after agreeing to pay $2675 if it was as described. Upon looking at it with a bore light, the bore was pretty dirty. The exterior of the gun was oily. He said he had oiled it. The lower receiver was stamped "Made in Germany exclusively for Saga, Arlington, VA Kaliber 308". The serial number was A7xxx. Looking the gun over closer there were a couple of scratches on the receiver sides and some deeper scratches at the magazine entry. Also, there was an area in a grove in the right side of the receiver that looked like rust bubbling under the coating. I tried to wipe it with my hankerchief, but nothing came off. I told him it wasn't worth what we had agreed upon due the condition and offered him $2400. He declined and I drove 100 miles home. When I got home he called and said he should have taken my offer and was willing to drive the gun to me if I still wanted it. One thing that I thought about during the drive home was when I offered him $2400. he said it only came to him with one 20 round magazine and he had bought 2 more. I question why would someone who had inherited the gun and supposedly never fired it buy two more mags?

I told him I would call him back in a day or two. What are you knowledgeable folks thoughts about this deal? I had a 91 maybe 30 years ago and loved it and would like to have another again. Is anyone familiar with the "SAGA" in VA? Finally, where would you put the value?

Thanks for your time and comments. JR

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had one of those back in the day also. I really can't say what the value is today as the market has gone crazy. But, I remember that the last time I looked the German built HK's (as opposed to the CTME) were going for a pretty good amount of $. I don't recall any ammo produced anywhere that had corrosive primers, so I think the bore is just dirty from not being cleaned and/or sitting for twenty years.

IMO, if you want it, call the seller and have him drive to you. Clean the bore and if it is good, buy it. These are the same as the military issue rifles, without the fun switch. A few rounds through them is not going to produce a significant wear.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The guy wouldn't take $2400? maybe the barrel is in worse shape than suspected...One Mag? New they came with 3. Kinda fishy to me...but than again I have seen AR15s lately want 3K and I told them you are NUTS!!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The guy wouldn't take $2400? maybe the barrel is in worse shape than suspected...One Mag? New they came with 3. Kinda fishy to me...but than agsain I have seen AR15s lately want 3K and I told them you are NUTS!!
Yes you are right a friend of mine just sold one for $2400.00 and I thought no way when he told me the price. It sold in one day. It was a Bushmaster.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Yes you are right a friend of mine just sold one for $2400.00 and I thought no way when he told me the price. It sold in one day. It was a Bushmaster.
There are suckers born every minute.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
There are suckers born every minute.
Yes, $2400 is crazy, but it's a small price to pay for freedom. If the (D)s and pussy-footed (R)s get their way, those things won't be available much longer.

Now, I don't see a ban as an imminent threat. We've been successful so far on that front. So if someone offered me $2400 for mine, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Shoot, I'd let it go for "only" $2000, a mere twice what I have in it. ;)

There are plenty of ARs on the shelf at my local dealer. Primers of all kinds, too. But his pricing has adjusted about like Cheaper Than Dirt's, so I'm not particularly fond of that shop anymore. If you want to pay $4200 for an LMT AR, you'll get yourself a really nice weapon. And it's your money, so I don't care. But it's not a shop I'll frequent anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are plenty of ARs on the shelf at my local dealer. Primers of all kinds, too. But his pricing has adjusted about like Cheaper Than Dirt's, so I'm not particularly fond of that shop anymore.
Don't be too hard on your dealer. He is very likely caught in situation where if he sells his ammo and AR's for the old price, it will cost him more to replace it than he made on the sale.

In other words, if he paid $10 for something and normally sold it for $20, he made a $10 profit. Out of that gross profit he has to pay operating expenses so his net on it may be $3. If it costs $15 to replace it, he has lost money because he now has to draw money from somewhere to pay the difference in order to keep his inventory up. In order to stay in business, he HAS to raise prices to reflect what he will now have to pay to replace the item.

In business this is known as an inventory profit, and while it seems to be unfair, a businessman has to adjust his prices to reflect: a; what the item is selling for elsewhere, and b; what it will cost him to replace it.

You see this all the time in the prices of gasoline at the pump. If the price goes up at the refiner, the price is going to rise at the retail level in order for the retailer to buy more when he needs it.

·
Banned
10,193 Posts
In 1985 an HK91 came with one steel mag

the side of the rifle says

made in germany

HK INC

arl. Va. 22201

The other side had

HK91

The serial number

and Cal..308

and a symbol for the manufacturer

These rifles will produce alot of soot. They are dirty because of the nature of the way it functions. Not uncommom and not to worry.

I have no idea what SAGA means other than that rifle is probably older than 1985 or newer and has some meaning.

If you want to know more about that rilfe, like the year, and exactly what saga means go to the HK forum.

Pictures would help

Scratches mean nothing to the function of this rilfe. If you shoot it or hunt with it your gona get some scratches. Also mounting a scope with a claw mount will scratch the surface. There is also a buffer that snaps on to keep your brass from getting banged up, it will scratch the paint too. Nothing finer on a HK than some scratches.

If you decide to get it look into williams trigger specialities. For about 200 he can install a set trigger on the thing, very sweet

edit: ok value. That is in the eye of the beholder. Remember this is a rifle that can be dumped in the mud, in water, in freezing cold, in extreme hot, under all kinds of conditions, it can be scopped, it will shoot around 24 to 2500 FPS so the effective range is 5 to 600 yrds, you can go to war with it and you can hunt with it, and is more dependable to keep you alive than anyone else on the planet. Now you put the value on that.

This is not a picasso it is a machine.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Don't be too hard on your dealer. He is very likely caught in situation where if he sells his ammo and AR's for the old price, it will cost him more to replace it than he made on the sale.

In other words, if he paid $10 for something and normally sold it for $20, he made a $10 profit. Out of that gross profit he has to pay operating expenses so his net on it may be $3. If it costs $15 to replace it, he has lost money because he now has to draw money from somewhere to pay the difference in order to keep his inventory up. In order to stay in business, he HAS to raise prices to reflect what he will now have to pay to replace the item.

In business this is known as an inventory profit, and while it seems to be unfair, a businessman has to adjust his prices to reflect: a; what the item is selling for elsewhere, and b; what it will cost him to replace it.

You see this all the time in the prices of gasoline at the pump. If the price goes up at the refiner, the price is going to rise at the retail level in order for the retailer to buy more when he needs it.
There is absolutely no excuse for selling 800.00 ARs for 3500.00 just because you can and just because everyone else is. I would not get involved in either side of this hyped up market. If it were a matter of survival like Josh mentioned, it would be different. It is not. While there are some idiot liberals making illegal laws, there is nothing outlawing ARs in the majority of the country and the market is becoming saturated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is absolutely no excuse for selling 800.00 ARs for 3500.00 just because you can and just because everyone else is. I would not get involved in either side of this hyped up market. If it were a matter of survival like Josh mentioned, it would be different. It is not. While there are some idiot liberals making illegal laws, there is nothing outlawing ARs in the majority of the country and the market is becoming saturated.
I agree. But it would be foolish from a retailers point of view to sell that $800 AR for the old list price. When is he going to get another for what he was paying? I don't know and neither does anyone else. Those that are asking $1500 are more in line with what they are selling for, not what someone is asking.

I have not, and will not buy into all the panic buying that is going on. If others would do the same, the prices would fall back to normal levels. I work part time at my LGS and saw an example of the greed and ignorance that is prevalent in today's market on Saturday. A fellow came in to sell his Del-Ton AR, We told him that it should sell for around $1500. Another customer was standing there ad piped up with "why you can get $2000 for that", so now it sits on the shelf for 2 grand. Will it sell? I personally hope not. I would like for the market to fall enough so he will barely be able to get the $1500 we had suggested he market it for. I really wish the other idiot had kept his mouth shut and let us put it up for a price that is little more reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts