The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call the chassis "Apache" I was bored and decided to put my CAD modeling skills to the test. Pushed myself to the limit modeling this, but I think it turned out good. I designed this to fit on a printer with a max Z height of 300mm and it just barely fits. The forend dovetails into place and can be fused to the main body with Weldon #3 to permanently attach it. The rail section also dovetails into place and can be secured with some allen screws. If a rail isn't desired, I made a filler piece that can be used. The only thing that I'm not a fan of is, I couldn't get a beaver tail grip to work. The trigger and stock geometry wouldn't allow for it. Here is the current print I did. Had to make some minor tweaks to the model to clearance the dovetails as they are far too tight. New print is in PETG and will be done day after tomorrow. The file will be available for sale for around $10 -$15 once everything is completed and tested.

Fixed and collapsible buffer tubes can be used. With a magpul MOE stock LOP is 10.5"-13.75". Let me know what you guys think!

Finger Metal Nail Thumb Sculpture

Games Picture frame Advertising

Electronic device Computer accessory Personal computer hardware Technology Peripheral

Pipe Metal Cylinder Air gun Trigger

Here are the CAD drawings

Green Line Purple Colorfulness Parallel
Text White Line Colorfulness Parallel
Green Parallel Drawing Diagram
Rectangle Parallel Drawing Document

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I got a feeling producing something like that might get me a room in the big house here in NY!
That's if they didn't shoot ya after waking you up from a sound sleep. Busting your door down with a no knock warrant charging in all ninja. Cannot be to carful in dealing with "militant gun owners"? Sad state of affairs when the ABC ninjas are as big a hazard for a regular guy as street punks...maybe worse.
I see up until recently "ghost guns" were still legal in NY but big brother fixed that for ya?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a feeling producing something like that might get me a room in the big house here in NY!
Well of course you'd have to follow state laws. Places like CA, IL, NY, NJ, this would be illegal due to the stock and grip, which is insane. By their definition, this is a super deadly "assault weapon". I swear, I don't get how completely moronic some of these people are. In free states, this is no problem as it's just a part and not a firearm.

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
That's if they didn't shoot ya after waking you up from a sound sleep. Busting your door down with a no knock warrant charging in all ninja. Cannot be to carful in dealing with "militant gun owners"? Sad state of affairs when the ABC ninjas are as big a hazard for a regular guy as street punks...maybe worse.
I see up until recently "ghost guns" were still legal in NY but big brother fixed that for ya?
This chassis isn't a ghost gun, the reciever is made by Savage, it has a serial number and it required a 4473 to buy it. Unfortunately it has "features" like a shoulder thing that goes up and perhaps it can fire 30 round clips per second. ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been working on this design for a little bit now. I'm calling this evolution of my Apache chassis the M.C.S. (Modular Chassis System). This system utilizes an AR15 stock, grip, and now handguards.

The rough prototype has some adjustments needed, mainly the centering of the barrel in the barrel nut, but that wasn't too hard of an issue to fix and I have the next prototype going now. The threads for the barrel nut are split, with the top being secured with 4 cap head screws. Here there is a gap as the top thread section is hitting the barrel. This print was done with polysmooth and the threads are strong enough to pick the rifle up by end of the handguard, though I would seriously reccomend printing in a stronger material than PLA. I've got some Nylon X and PCTG (not PETG) coming to test out. The Nylon X seems to be incredibly strong, as does the PCTG.

Also, as you can see here, the rail will be pretty high. I'm printing out a scope mount (we will see if the gun remains accurate) that will make it a mono type rail. The sight picture will be considerably higher, so I plan on designing a fully adjustable stock for this little system. Additionally, a smooth handguard can be used with M-Lok sections if you wish to retain your preferred mount, which I will likely be doing myself.

Just got my nylon x today (nylon infused with carbon fiber) but I won't use it until I get the design dialed in as it's $58 a spool lol. I would like to find a way to get these cut on a CNC and market them, but I don't know how to go about doing that. I think I'm on to something with this design though. I will be making a full sized center fire version eventually as well.

Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun Shotgun

Wood Gas Trigger Gun accessory Tints and shades

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

·
TFFWPP President
14,445 Posts
For some reason it doesn't seem right to have an AR guard on this. I'd rather see it as a long freefloat fore end. If my thinking is wrong I'd like to hear about it.

That latest material looks to be the stuff to use. I really like it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
For some reason it doesn't seem right to have an AR guard on this. I'd rather see it as a long freefloat fore end. If my thinking is wrong I'd like to hear about it.

Same here! Love the original design.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

It'll look better finalized the first pic is a rough prototype.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Putting final touches on the adjustable stock I designed to go along with the chassis. It uses 2 AR15 bolt release plungers and springs as detents for the adjustment wheels. Fully collapsed it's the same size as a collapsed MOE stock, about the same size fully adjusted out as well. The cheek piece has 2 set screws that can be loosened so the cheek piece can be moved forward or back so it fits the shooter better. The cheek piece here was printed in another material that I have bad settings for, which is why it looks like crap.

Milling Machine tool Office equipment Gas Tool

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

1 - 20 of 28 Posts