The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Registered
1,085 Posts
Yah, THAT'S what REALLY happens...
It depends a lot on the SMG, really. The open-bolt M3 "grease gun" was one SMG that I simply could not make hits with, beyond 25 yards.
The post-WWII SMGs, which made use of Advanced Primer Ignition, telescoping bolts, or roller-locked bolts, were somewhat easier to hit things with.
And you should ALREADY know the folly of basing your firearms-buying decisions on what you see on TV or in the movies.

· Registered
2,809 Posts
All the movies I see them in, nobody gets hit!
The hero always seems to stop them with his gun.
Probly even a derringer.
:cautious:
Dare I ask - do they make a magazine fed derringer? Count me in!

· Registered
4,008 Posts
Those suckers are heavy.
I must be getting old since it's been many years since I've had the urge to play with full auto, but they are a hoot.

· Registered
81 Posts
Unfortunately, since the 1986 law that prohibits new machine guns, most people are priced out of them. A Thompson in 1987 was $800.00, the same gun now is between 20K and 25K for a West Hurley Thompson. A Colt, Savage or Auto-ordnance, double that. Thompsons are fun but they are heavy, 12 pounds empty.

I blame Hollywood for that law. They will show a bad guy with a Mac 10 or another MG fire for 5 minutes from a single magazine and destroy a city block. If you saw MAC 10 fire in person, at 1100 rounds a minute the magazine is empty in a litlle more than a second. The empty cases are all still in the air when the magazine is emptied. Unless you are point blank chances are you will miss the target with most of them. A Mac 10 before the law was only $125.00.

· Registered
19,354 Posts
yup.. Even with short controlled bursts...pistol cartridge sub guns are hard to be on target and semi accurate past 25 yards. Heck..10 yards if it's a second burst..first aimed burst you might hit 25..etc. Depends on the gun and the shooter. Room clearing? Sure... And yeah.. Mac 10/11 can chew thru a 32rnd mag in a couple seconds of sustained fire. I think the m11 can hit 1200rpm.

Some of the slower 45 sub guns that ran around 600rpm and carbine length could be 25 yard guns.. But many had their own problems..especially with short bursts..not to mention some guns had 20rnd mags... That's laughable... That's like 4 short bursts half second each...

· Premium Member
18,501 Posts
The Thompson is the only one that ever interested me. Well, it and a Schmeiser, I think that's right. But, as with many things Mother Nature and Father Time took care of that as well.

· Registered
18,462 Posts
The Thompson is the only one that ever interested me. Well, it and a Schmeiser
The Thompson was my first one, and the MP40 was my second one. They are nice, although the MP40 is much easier to shoot. Slower, the stock is better set to the action - sort of like an AR. And of course 9 mm is so much cheaper than 45 ACP.

Attachments

· Registered
915 Posts
I CARRIED a Thompson. Military. BRIEFLY. And went to a Swedish K as soon as I could. Thompsons are heavier than an anchor, rusted faster than a Chevy in Alabama!

But could be worse- you could be an Imperial Storm Trooper with a laser. Don't think they have hit anything yet. And the MAC is the perfect gun- for a firefight inside a phone booth.

Did run across an M3A1 greasegun in the military that was... interesting. Integral suppressor. Limited number made in WW2 for the OSS. At least one made it to Nam.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

· Registered
63 Posts
All the movies I see them in, nobody gets hit!
The hero always seems to stop them with his gun.
Probly even a derringer.
:cautious:
All you need to do to prove that is watch "The Rat Patrol" the Germans can't seem to hit the Americans in their jeeps but the Americans wipe out the Germans??? (Saturday night on the H&I channel). :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
502 Posts
I owned an M3 briefly when I was in Viet Nam. I bought it from a Sailor for $5.00. I thought it would be cool to carry when we allowed to go to a Village for an in country R&R. The thing was past worn out with a cyclic rate of probably 200 RPM and I couldn't hit an empty ammunition can with it at 25 yards. It's at the bottom of a river now. The other SMG I bought was a now semi-automatic 9MM Suomi. It weighed about a ton without the drum magazine affixed. I thought I would carry it while hiking. Even with the 36 round "stick" magazines it was way too heavy. I sold it at a gun show for a nice profit.
Bag Fashion accessory Luggage and bags Cooking Home appliance

1 - 20 of 91 Posts