The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reloading quite a while, but never loaded .223 because it was always so cheap that it wasn’t worth it to buy the dies. NOT NOW! Looking online, most places have prices of $1.00+ per round; if they have it. So, I checked Midway USA, and they had all the dies I needed, but I had to buy a couple separately because the kits were sold out. I also picked up a few hundred 55 gr FMJ-BT Hornady bullets for $13.99/100. Hopefully I can use some of the rifle powder I already have on hand. All-in, I'm at $100, but I'd have spent that for 100 rounds of ammo online.

Anybody that reloads .223, anything I should be aware of or look out for in particular?

·
Registered
6 Posts
For 223 it is very common to run into cases with crimped primer pockets.
It has been my experience that the neck area on 223 cases work harden faster than most other cases. You will notice that the bullet seating force increases with each loading. The cure is annealing the neck.
Boat tail bullets are much easier to work with than flat base.
Be careful with your bullet seating. It is real easy to slightly bulge the shoulder of a case which will cause the round to not chamber.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking through my powders, the only real candidate I have is H4895. I'm sure that it will function just fine, but being a stick powder, I don't really like the way it meters. I'm going to have to go by my local gun shop and see if they have anything in stock I can use. There's a ton of powders that should work OK, but with the shortage the way it is, I may have to use what I can find. I sure wish I could use IMR 4227. I have a lot of it, and only use if for .357 Magnum and some .30 carbine reloads.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Super Moderator
40,189 Posts
What weight bullets you plan on using the H4895 with? I just looked at my Hornady #10 manual and found nothing in the .223 Rem section with it, lots of IMR 4895 loads. When I got to the "Service Rifle" and "5.56MM" data is where I started seeing loads for H4895.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What weight bullets you plan on using the H4895 with? I just looked at my Hornady #10 manual and found nothing in the .223 Rem section with it, lots of IMR 4895 loads. When I got to the "Service Rifle" and "5.56MM" data is where I started seeing loads for H4895.
55 grain. My Lee Second Edition lists 25-26c gr H4895 for 55 grain jacketed.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,771 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking through all my manuals and load data this evening, I found this in the IMR 2001 Reloaders Guide. It looks like IMR 4227 actually can be used in .223 Rem. It may or may not work in an AR, but here’s the load data.
6786AED7-B483-46B3-AB56-24242EB8C597.jpeg

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Looking through all my manuals and load data this evening, I found this in the IMR 2001 Reloaders Guide. It looks like IMR 4227 actually can be used in .223 Rem. It may or may not work in an AR, but here’s the load data.
View attachment 239068
I would'nt--a 24" barrel only doing 2800fps at 51k pressure-all wrong for a gas gun....bolt it might work

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would'nt--a 24" barrel only doing 2800fps at 51k pressure-all wrong for a gas gun....bolt it might work
I plan on finding something better tomorrow; maybe CFE 223 or BL-C2. It might be fun to experiment a little though. Who knows... it might even work.

·
Super Moderator
40,189 Posts
My most used powder for .223 is the CFE-223 and it is the only powder that I use in .308s. It takes a little more of it than most other powders but I truly believe that it does hold down on copper fowling.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Mr. Flintstone, see if this helps. I have a TC Venture in .223. bought it about the time of the last ammo shoratge (2012). Not much powder saw avabile then. I, called Hornady. This is what Hornady told me. H4198 19.0 - 21gr for 55gr V-Max bullet. Been shooting this load since then. I get real good groups.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,771 Posts
The only powder I've used in my .223 is VihtaVuori N140. It works well with 69 grain Sierra Match Kings. I also use it in my .243 with 70 grain Sierra Match Kings.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I told the guy at the store I wanted something that metered well, and was good in both .223 and 30-30. He recommended TAC. I've never used it, but I figured I could buy a pound and give it a try. I guess we'll see as soon as my dies arrive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts