The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Henry Mare's Leg .22 for 6-8 years or so. I've always wanted the full size rifle and when I found out how much the prices had crept up on them, I figured now was the time before they go even higher. So, the dilemma was to go with an H001 with the round barrel or the H001T with the octagonal barrel. Since they aren't as cheap as $250 like they were 10 years ago, I went ahead and got what I wanted with the H001T. Well, I love the action. It's almost identical to the Mare's Leg on trigger pull, but a half pound heavier, probably due to being new. It's still under 4 lbs. I went to sight it in with open sights and I couldn't get over how hard it is to see the front sight in low light. Two things were working against it. The brass bead on the front sight was shiny, but not highly polished and the rear buckhorn sight had that awful white diamond messing up the contrast with the front sight. I needed to adjust the rear sight over some anyway, so I went ahead and flipped the white diamond over facing forward and now I'm just looking at a black rear sight with a contrasting front bead. To improve the front sight, I polished it a little with some Flitz and a Dremel felt polishing head. I can see the sights fine now. The front sight is a bit off center from the factory, but I couldn't drift the thing even with the tool that I use for handgun sights. A hammer and brass punch also didn't budge it. I compensated with the rear sight. At 25 yards, it was shooting as well as I was capable of off hand, but that got me thinking and that's usually dangerous. Yeah, I've already started trying to fit a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 rimfire scope on it. Dovetail rings are a PAIN! There aren't nearly as many height options as Weaver rings and the quality of them is spotty when you do find them. That all made fitting the scope difficult. So, what do you do?... I have a 3/8" dovetail to Picatinny adapter coming so that I can get the scope height just perfect and still leave the rear sight installed. All that work to make the sights functional and now I'm going to cover them up. I need another hobby. This one's going to drive me loony (er). :ROFLMAO:

The pictures aren't great from my phone, but they tell the story of the sights.

Flipped that stupid diamond around out of the way...
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Tire

All black...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Sleeve

A little shinier, although the photo really doesn't do it justice...
Wood Handgun holster Musical instrument Revolver Personal protective equipment

When the scope goes on, I'll need to wait a few more days for an ambi hammer extension that's also on the way. Nope, I really can't leave anything alone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it!!
Thanks Ted! I might post a picture when I get it all finished. Hopefully, that will happen this next week if everything goes just right. The scope is going to look a little odd with the rail on the lever gun, but I can't help it. I like to know how well the gun can actually shoot. The scope might not stay on forever. One of the reasons I wanted one of the rifles was to be able to shoot CB rounds efficiently and they drop a lot more than standard or high velocity rounds, so the scope might get on my nerves if I shoot those rounds through it. Who knows how it'll end up in a year.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've always wanted a Henry lever rimfire, but I dislike the buckhorn sight design, so I put the puchase off...and I have no desire for a scope. My son recently got a Big Boy X with fiber optic sights, and it's excellent. This combo would be an ideal option for me.

I've done plenty of sight installs, but I no longer want to deal with this:
but I couldn't drift the thing even with the tool that I use for handgun sights. A hammer and brass punch also didn't budge it.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always wanted a Henry lever rimfire, but I dislike the buckhorn sight design, so I put the puchase off...and I have no desire for a scope. My son recently got a Big Boy X with fiber optic sights,
What's funny is, the Mare's Leg comes with a flat rear notch sight. It's not the buckhorn. It has a less precise notch, but it's easier to pick up with your eyes.

The HiViz sights can be had for any of the Henry rifles, but the dovetailed front sight on the octagonal barrel models seems like it would be the point of frustration. The H001 slip-on front sight would be a breeze to replace.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,501 Posts
I have the H001GG Garden Gun, and love it. It's the same gun, but a smooth bore for shooting .22LR shot shells only. We have a lot of snakes around my property, but it will probably be handy for rabbit and squirrel control, too. So far I've only fired it at beer cans from about 10 - 15 yards, never had a miss. What a delightful action, too! I need to get a rifle rack for my tractor ROPS.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
I've got a Golden Boy I picked up quite a few years ago. It's my second favorite .22 next to my Remington Model 12 pump. It was on the display rack at a local store and had highly figure wood. I told the sales clerk I wanted that rifle, he said no I got to get one out of inventory in the back. He comes out a few minutes later with an empty box and says that display model is the only one in the store right now and he puts it in the box and sells it to me. :)

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I've got a Golden Boy I picked up quite a few years ago. It's my second favorite .22 next to my Remington Model 12 pump. It was on the display rack at a local store and had highly figure wood. I told the sales clerk I wanted that rifle, he said no I got to get one out of inventory in the back. He comes out a few minutes later with an empty box and says that display model is the only one in the store right now and he puts it in the box and sells it to me. :)
Did he give you a discount for it being a display model?

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Unfortunately no. Fortunately there were no scratches or fingerprints on it as it was inside of a locked glass case behind the counter. I probably would have been tempted to bribe him 20 bucks to get that particular rifle and have him put a Plain Jane stocked rifle on display though. :)

·
Premium Member
20,222 Posts
I'm 64 and diabetic so my eyesight gets wonky from time to time. I prefer a full buckhorn so I can use it as a ghost ring but I still do well with the semi.
On my henry i put one of those Marbles Bullseye sights on it. It replaces the rear sight.. On the front i put a Hiviz sight. Kind of wish i would have not got the Magnum. Think i would shoot it more. Anybody want to trade?;)

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
On my henry i put one of those Marbles Bullseye sights on it. It replaces the rear sight.. On the front i put a Hiviz sight. Kind of wish i would have not got the Magnum. Think i would shoot it more. Anybody want to trade?;)
That might work ok. I think if I was going to go to something like that I'd just get a tang mounted peep. .22 mag costs too much. I'll keep my S,L,LR. :p

·
Premium Member
20,222 Posts
That might work ok. I think if I was going to go to something like that I'd just get a tang mounted peep. .22 mag costs too much. I'll keep my S,L,LR. :p
Hawg is your tang drilled and tapped for a tang sight mount? Neither my tang or receiver was drilled on mine. I bought it back in new in 2002 before they started tapping the receiver, so that's why i went the marbles bullseye.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts