The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the range early this afternoon to try out my new NAA revolver and make sure my Mark IV was sighted in for the ornament shoot I’m signed up for in a couple of weeks. Just as I was getting ready to leave, 4 young men pulled in and unloaded a variety of guns.

One young gentleman, probably no older than 21 or 22, pulled out a Mosin Nagant rifle from WWII. Honestly, this kid looked like a typical Gen Z Liberal Hipster but he knew his guns and was more polite than most youngins his age.

Anyway, that was the first time I have ever seen a Mosin Nagant in person and I have to admit, I was a tad jealous. It wasn’t in the best shape but he was kind enough to let me shoot it once before I left. I’m pretty sure my testosterone levels went up by about 25% after shooting that gun. You could feel the percussion waves from it standing 5 or 6 feet away from him when it was fired. I was amazed that he only paid $190 for it but he says he got it before gun prices went crazy.

It was definitely an experience. I gotta admit, I’m kinda hooked now and if gun and ammo prices ever settle down, this will likely be one added to my list of guns to own.

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
Haha, they are fun to shoot. The top two are MNs and I paid about $115 each. The 91/30 was a kit deal and came with ammo pouches, a sling and a complete WWII cleaning kit. Say 7 years ago they could be had for dirt cheap.
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
A Mosin was the first high power rifle I ever fired. My best friend's father bought it from Sears for $20 about 1965. They aren't the most accurate service rifles and are (IMHO) butt-ugly. Fun to shoot, though. I bought an M44 Carbine some years back at Big 5 Sporting Goods for $79. Kept it about a year then traded or sold it off. Muzzle blast from the short barrel was awesome. Big fire ball of flame with every shot.

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
Now that I think about it I got the 91/30 at Big 5 Sporting Goods in So Cal for $89 about 7 years ago. They had a wall full of them and getting to pick I decided to grab one that had a hex receiver just because it was different than the others. I got the M44 a couple years later for $115 at Bolsa Gunsmithing as they just wanted to get rid of the thing. @jim brady ain’t kidding about the muzzle blast. I rested the M44 on top of my wife’s car and the Lord was watching out for this fool. I about shattered her sun roof but ended up only having to buff out a BIG black flash mark off the paint. 😳

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Now that I think about it I got the 91/30 at Big 5 Sporting Goods in So Cal for $89 about 7 years ago.
Youngest son got one at Big 5 about that long ago for the same price. His is IIRC a 1943 vintage 91-30. It had all the goodies with it except the bayonet.

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
Youngest son got one at Big 5 about that long ago for the same price. His is IIRC a 1943 vintage 91-30. It had all the goodies with it except the bayonet.
Yup, that was the deal. Mine was manufactured in 1934 and has a very tight bore, eating .308 bullets like it was made for it.

·
Premium Member
17,230 Posts
My late Uncle Howard bought one in 1963 for something like $9 or $10, I think from Aldens mail order catalog. That same year, for $13.00 from Sears I think...maybe Aldens, Dad bought a Savage made 303 Brit for $13.00. Uncle Howard should have spent the other $3 or $4. My oldest son has Dad's rifle. I think Uncle Howard used his for a trot line weight.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So I went to the range early this afternoon to try out my new NAA revolver and make sure my Mark IV was sighted in for the ornament shoot I’m signed up for in a couple of weeks. Just as I was getting ready to leave, 4 young men pulled in and unloaded a variety of guns.

One young gentleman, probably no older than 21 or 22, pulled out a Mosin Nagant rifle from WWII. Honestly, this kid looked like a typical Gen Z Liberal Hipster but he knew his guns and was more polite than most youngins his age.

Anyway, that was the first time I have ever seen a Mosin Nagant in person and I have to admit, I was a tad jealous. It wasn’t in the best shape but he was kind enough to let me shoot it once before I left. I’m pretty sure my testosterone levels went up by about 25% after shooting that gun. You could feel the percussion waves from it standing 5 or 6 feet away from him when it was fired. I was amazed that he only paid $190 for it but he says he got it before gun prices went crazy.

It was definitely an experience. I gotta admit, I’m kinda hooked now and if gun and ammo prices ever settle down, this will likely be one added to my list of guns to own.
Buy a finnish one they are the best much more expensive than the 91/30 but so much nicer. if you get lucky and find a civil guard one and the person doesn't realize it buy it asap. valued at 1500 or more depending on condition it features a 32 inch sako barrel a finn pinned trigger and is extremely accurate sub moa with good brass ammunition.

·
Premium Member
13,939 Posts
@jim brady ain’t kidding about the muzzle blast. I rested the M44 on top of my wife’s car and the Lord was watching out for this fool. I about shattered her sun roof but ended up only having to buff out a BIG black flash mark off the paint. 😳
We have a Chinese Type 53 - Mao's version of Ivan's M44. The muzzle blast/flash can probably be heard/seen from low orbit. Lady of the house thinks it's cute (her term), but then she's never fired it.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Have owned 3 . A 91/30 , think paid $150 , a M44 for $60 maybe . Sold the M44 , just wasn't accurate . Then got one off a friend that was one that was bought from the grease crate and stuck back . Cleaned it up and shoots very good !!!!! Just something about them I like !!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,572 Posts
My son's friend had one. We were at the 50-yard indoor range and I shot it. It was accurate. I think he paid about $100 for it. I should have bought one when they were so cheap.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had 10 when they were only $79 from J&G Sales. I thought at that price I'd start a small collection. Added in a few of the Swedish versions along the way. They cost a lot more but were worth the extra bucks.

Over the years I ended up selling all of them. I no longer have any rifles. Long story.

But the Nagants are great guns. I still remember the steel butt plates. Ouch! Ammo was cheap and I bought it by the case. Ended up giving most to my son. I found 1000 rounds in the garage recently. I figured I'd gift it but in my confusion I lost it somewhere in the garage again. It will turn up.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts