The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my Snap-On guy and I went on our semi-annual fishing trip. he supplies the truck-gas while I supply the boat and gear. We go to the Missouri river at a place called Big Bend Dam by Ft. Thompson and know the place well. on the south side below the dam is a gentle slope to 13' then a sharp break line down to 25' and I can tell you the walleyes love that place. since last summer was a drought (our results were less than desirable then) this time all we managed to get were ones either way to small or barely legal size. Even though, we did get our limit.
His brother in law from Nebraska came along and had a blast. as it turns out the guy does his own reloading and we had a great time, all 3 of us have addictions to guns, ammo, fishing, and hunting. I invited both of them to join me for duck-goose season and prospects look good.

on our 3 1/2 hour drive we discussed reloads and I mentioned I was having trouble finding IMR 4350 and 4007ssc. he said he just bought 4 pounds of each from Scheels on Friday. DAMMIT!!!! I was there on Thursday and they had neither in stock!! He was happy since he can't find squat where he lives. I was worried because he probably got all they had so I suggested we stop at Cabela's in Mitchell on the way back. I was rewarded with both in stock but the price was a little higher than where I live. Oh well, I'll take it. Probably won't find any more later but at this price I'll only get a pound of each. He said if I need more before supplies come around he will help out.

Nice guy, level headed with no pretentious walls or other barriers to deal with.

I am highly looking forward to our next trip this fall.

edit;

you aint lived yet until you have stop-n-rob cat-in-a-bag sandwiches and doritoes while anchored off on the river. the BIL left his line in the water and caught a real nice 34" Northern putting an abrupt end to lunch break

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Sounds like you all had a good trip! Glad it turned out well, and that you all enjoyed the fishing. Expect to pay more for anything you buy at Cabela's. They have to pay for that nice, big building!

·
Premium Member
19,874 Posts
Sounds like you all had a good trip! Glad it turned out well, and that you all enjoyed the fishing. Expect to pay more for anything you buy at Cabela's. They have to pay for that nice, big building!
Cabela's is high priced but if you watch their sales you can get a good deal. They also price match any other retail store.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bad thing is Scheels is 3 blocks from my house, Cabela's is 75 miles

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
the bad thing is Scheels is 3 blocks from my house, Cabela's is 75 miles
I know the feeling, The nearest Cabela's is 180 miles from where I live. Bass Pro shot just across the river in Bossier City, LA, about 30 miles away.

·
Premium Member
18,814 Posts
nice trip. I'll be going on a camping and fishing trip in a couple of weeks. I love walleye fishing. With all the rain we are getting here in NY though, maybe i'll be able to fish out my back door of my house pretty soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts