The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beauty of an M-1, its 7,62 and various parts are engraved with the last four of the rifle serial number. That includes the glass bedded stock, match rear sight. I have only fired it one time and that was in a rifle match. To me it fires much softer than the 30-06 versions. I started shooting those in 1955, later in the Army and again until recently. I just gave my M-1 in 30-06 to one of my best friends but have held on the this one. I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this model and if it might be of interest to collectors.

·
Super Moderator
44,807 Posts
I was going to post the same thing as Jim a little while ago, but I could NOT think of that word "Insert" to save my life

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
So, I just did a little research. The navy tried the insert thing in the beginning when they started to change over. That didn't work out for them to well, so they ended up re-barrel and chambering every rifle. So I am going to assume the CMP I have was done correctly and not the insert

·
Premium Member
15,985 Posts
Firedog, if my bench looked like that I'd be embarrassed or ashamed........ :sick:

Reactions: Big Mak

·
Deer Stalker
6,570 Posts
I never knew the Navy had M1 Garands. I always assumed they were M1 Carbines since WW2.

Learn something new.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Check your barrel for stamps. Blue Sky and two others I know of were converting surplus guns years ago. Springfield has been doing it since the 1980's that I know of, and building new ones since 2002?

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
I never knew the Navy had M1 Garands. I always assumed they were M1 Carbines since WW2.

Learn something new.
We had a whole rack of M1's on the boat during our Nam cruise in the late 60's and early 70's

Reactions: Big Mak

·
Administrator
14,393 Posts
When I reported to my sub, we had Thompsons. They later traded for M14.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
I'll take pictures of barrel marking tonight when I'm have a drink of some new stuff I just bought.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Check your barrel for stamps. Blue Sky and two others I know of were converting surplus guns years ago. Springfield has been doing it since the 1980's that I know of, and building new ones since 2002?
Here is the only thing visible on the barrel with out removing the furniture.
Wood Wood stain Varnish Tints and shades Font

1 - 13 of 13 Posts