The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I'm lusting after a Swedish Mauser Model 38 Short Rifle. I had watched a youtube video of one and it got me interested and today I actually got to fondle one. :dance: Now I simply MUST own one of those rifles. It felt perfect in my hands, the Mauser action was, of course, perfectly smooth and the owner says it is more accurate then he can ever hope to be. Also, the 6.5x55 round is what I'm looking for since my shoulders cannot take much pounding anymore.

I am now on a mission to find one for myself. Does anybody out there own one and what are your likes or dislikes?

This should be fun.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Well, I don't have any Husquvarna M38s at the moment, but I do have a couple of Carl Gustaf M96/38s. Basically, M96s that were rebuilt to the M38 pattern during arsenal rebuilds.

Those cheap surplus Swedes are what got me hooked on the .264 bore in general, but specifically the 6.5x55. It is just a super sweet cartridge.
The military Swedes usually tend to prefer the 140gr and heavier bullets. I did have one M96 that would make tiny little groups with 120s all the way out to 200yards, which was all the farther my eyeballs could do a good job with the iron sights.

The only thing I've ever found that I didn't like is that at the time I was buying most of em their cheap price coerced me into sporterizing several really nice VG to EXC condition numbers-matching rifles.
Some were bubba'd pretty bad when I got done, some turned out real nice too...but I liked all of em.

One of the definite must-have rifles in my opinion although they aren't nearly as common to find on the rack as they were in the 1990s (the second Swede surplus boom). I wasn't around yet for the first one in the '60/70s.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a Husquvarna M38, like? everything about the gun. Lighter than usual for a Mauser type and light recoil.
Dislike, the only thing is I can't use the stock sights, I had to switch to a Mojo rear; the rifle shoots well (better than I can) with 140 gr. bullets and is not sensitive to reloaded ammo. Swiss rifles can be very touchy about reloads, not so with the Swede.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bindernut, the 96/38 is what I would prefer over the Husquvarna but with the scarcity of any of them right now I would take either. The one I got to handle was the Husquvarna and it had the turn down bolt handle. I've never operated the action on a straight handle bolt so I don't know if it makes much of a difference in operation or not.

CWH2021, What was the problem with the sights? I have eyes that are 60+ years old and I'm starting to have some troubles with irons now and I'm not sure about the ladder type sights myself. Thanks to both of you for the info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been very lucky to have 2 Swedish Mausers. My 96 is a 1908 rifle that has seen little use. my short rifle I've found out is a Swedish Underground rifle. I've only seen 1 picture of a rifle like it. It was made in 1914 and the barrel is only 18" Both are very accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Samco Global does still have some Husky M38s in stock. They list Fair to Good condition so you're scraping the bottom of the barrel compared to what they had several years ago.

As for the straight-bolt vs bent-bolt...
They don't handle much different from each other. The only difference is the initial position of the bolt handle.
Some guys do claim that you can work a straight-handle faster and smoother, especially a cock-on-closing action like the early Mausers, since the bolt handle is dead-center with the action when it's in the open position and it won't try to cock either direction and bind up as you're cycling it.
Personally, I've never had a problem with the bolt binding with a bent bolt handle...
On most of the M96s I butchered I bent the bolt handle M38/M41 style for scope clearance. A couple of them got full bolt handle replacement for low scope mounting.

waterdog,
Is your rifle perhaps an M94 or an M94/14 cavalry/artillery/naval carbine? With a 1908 date, I'd suspect an M94/14. There are several variants of the M94 carbine.
I've never heard any reference to an "underground" rifle though. Can you post up a pic (here or in a new thread)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts