I have been invited

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by 68c15, Apr 10, 2017.

1. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A friend called me last night. He is inviting me to join a bench rest league. It seems the local club is sponsoring it and has a few different classes. The one I'm thinking of is "hunter" class where you basically use hunting type rifles at 100 and 200 yard targets. Since I've just about got my Axis 223 dialed in, my 7mm is looking real good and my 6.8 is spot on I have some deciding to do. The 223 might be the choice, cost to load and recoil being biggest factors.

Broot, rawright54, BlackEagle and 5 others like this.
  2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Sounds like fun!

Broot, dbcooper, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.

3. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun. I would reconsider using the .223. Your other calibers are going to have a better chance of competing especially if there is wind.
    An 1/8 inch could be the difference in winning or losing.

Broot, m77user, BlackEagle and 3 others like this.
  4. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Go for it.

dbcooper likes this.
  5. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Is it "hunter class" or "hunting class"? In the benchrest circles hunter class guns were/are full blown benchrest rifles equiped with 6X scopes and the shooters usually used 6PPC or 30BR chamberings. Either way, what the other posts said GO FOR IT, there a lot to be learned at any new shooting venue and you'll have a great time doing it. One warning, it will be addictive and you'll probably want to by another rifle.

Broot, m77user, grcsat and 2 others like this.
  6. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

The .223 might be the best choice because of cost. How many shots will you be firing? In our steel challenge matches we shoot 5 range set ups, 5 times each, so I am looking at 125 rounds if I don't miss a steel.

I think you should go for it because competing in any matches will teach you a lot, make you a better shooter and you will have loads of fun!

BlackEagle likes this.
  7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

On the face of it it sounds like a great idea. You should have fun; don't get too caught up in the "cometition" side of it.

It'll give you a great chance to get out and do some serious shooting on a regular basis.

Check out the club. If it has too many "snobs" in it, that may be a problem.

Competitions form a great part of the activity around my club, and we have good times with club shoots and with inter-club shoots. They put a little pressure on and raise the adrenaline.

As far as which gun? .223 may be the least expensive to shoot and reload for. Which gun gives you the best precision?

dbcooper likes this.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Go for it. And a 223 is a great choice when starting due to the cost factor.

9. 68c15

Our club already has trap and rimfire leagues. The guys in them are very friendly, I don't see this being any different.

I heard the hunter class made for beginners like me. No laminated stocks or aftermarket triggers. Same with barrels. Basically take you hunting rifle and see how good the shooter and ammo are

grcsat, One Shot, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.
  10. 68c15

IMG_0374.PNG I found the basic info about the league.

I'm going for "factory sporter" with my 223. The search for a 20x scope begins

11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was afraid to join the trap league at my club. I am an ok shooter. I shoot about 85-90 out of a 100. My son is a 95+ out of 100. Much to my surprise I am in the top 25 out of 250 most seasons. My son is in the top 10.

You may be surprised. In my club only about 10% of the shooters are really good. Most shooters are just there to have fun.

howlnmad, Broot and BlackEagle like this.
  12. 68c15

Well, put me in the "just here to have fun" group

howlnmad and BlackEagle like this.
  13. 68c15

IMG_6764.JPG Since I had to make a range trip to test my 1911 I figured why not bring Alex for exercise. I got all set up at 100 yards and noticed I forgot my rear bag. Considering that and how I didn't trickle the powder, just dumped the Varget from my measure, I think it went ok. This is also with an old Tasco World Class 319x40 wide view, not the allowed 20x

That's 5 shots. Those two I knew it right away that I pulled them. Still kicking myself

14. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It took me 2 years to not be embarrassed with my trap shooting. Went every weekend and shot 100 clays. After that I could shoot good enough not to be embarrassed. Keep it up. It takes time to be good at anything.