The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
12,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son had his firearms stored in a travel trailer in storage. 2 of the 3 roof vents leaked and did a lot of damage to the trailer and the moisture got to the guns. We were able to remove surface rust to a satisfactory condition on all but 3. This Norinco 1911 was one that had pretty bad pitting. Im looking for recommendation on DIY repair of the damage without paying a fortune for a restore.

I know I can get the old sanding blocks out an go to work. Also have read about DuraFil as an alternative. Does Cerakote have anything like DuraFil? I am considering a 2 tone Cerakote when pitting is removed.

The grip safety and mainspring housing can be replaced easily enough. The slide is pretty bad. The frame is in better shape than the slide.

·
GUNZILLA
7,374 Posts
Strip it and soak it in a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water for 15 minutes only, rinse it clean it with soap and water with a stiff brush, drop it in vinegar and water for 10 minutes , repeat soap water and brush, rinse drop 5 minutes this time and repeat process. Do not soak it longer than 15 minutes at a time as the vinegar will pit the gun. Afterwards if there is some rust left you decide if it needs more soaking but do it at 5 minute increments rinsing every time. Any persistent rough spots you could use a copper penny dated 1980 or older as they were true copper, after the 80's they are zinc and copper. Or use a 1000 grit to 2000 grit paper with oil and scrub rusted parts. I do not like steel wool, too dirty.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
When we moved from Illinois to Florida in 1993, we pulled a covered U-Haul trailer, which among other things had a cheap gun safe with my long guns wrapped securely in blankets & rugs to keep them from bouncing into each other. Included in the lot were a matched set of commemorative shotguns, a Remington 1100 & Remington 870. They both had upgraded wood & engraving with 1776-1976 on them. On the way, we got into a blizzard in Kentucky & had to hunker down in a motel for 3 days, then drive on salt encrusted roads through Tenn & Georgia. When we arrived in Florida, we backed the trailer into our garage & left it there for about a week before unloading it. We weren't aware that the floor of the trailer was in terrible shape & the salty water from snow melt soaked the inside of the trailer & of course, the cheap gun safe. All six of my shotguns looked worse than your pistol. I took them to several gunsmiths & the consensus was it would have been cost prohibitive to try to re-finish them & whatever value they had as collectors items was most likely ruined. The bottom line, was I sold all 6 for about $250 bucks. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Numrich Gun Parts used to sell a 'Parkerizing Kit'. I used it a couple of times. Gave a decent parkerized finish. I think it cost about $35. Pretty easy to use and the finish lasted many years.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I bought a goverment model in 38 super that was in about the same shape. I had it parkerized and it looks really good now. Don

Reactions: tuckerd1

·
Administrator
12,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wilson Combat part.
That pistol looks familiar, if so, it's a shooter.
The first Norinco I owned came from you Sam in 2002 and yes it was a shooter. It was stolen in 2014. I can't remember if this one was one of yours or not. I bought a 3rd one online 10-15 years ago. Gave one to each of my sons before mine was stolen.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My first 1911 was a Norinco . Lost it due to financial problems many years ago .Would love to have another .Most reliable semi auto i have owned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts