The Firearms Forum banner

I just bought my first inline, would like some advice on getting started

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm new to this site and I could use some advice about getting started. I have hunted the last few black powder seasons with my old Thompson Center Renegade .54 using maxi balls and 70 grain pyrodex. I just recently bought a new Thompson Center Omega Z5 and I'm wondering what works well with it. I have already purchased 245g. powerbelts. I'm wondering if I can still use the Pyrodex that I already have and how much of it I should use. I think most guys with the inlines shoot the preformed pellets like tripple7 but it’s kind of expensive and if there is no significant difference I would like to use what I have. I am hunting Ohio farmland for whitetail deer. Also at what yardage should I sight in at? I am shooting it in tomorrow for the first time. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. I'm looking forward to reading your comments.

#4 ·
ive been shooting the same gun you have for 2 years.t/c omega z5 with the thumb hole stock..honestly its the most accurate out of the box gun ive shot...i use 250gr t/c spire point sabots and 100 grains of powder..2 pellets...pulled the gun out of the box loaded it up and its dead on at 100 yards..havent touched the sights since...ive put down several deer..no tracking needed..

#7 ·
I use BH209 and clean after every range session or hunting trip after firing my inline. With BH209 Hoppes #9 is all that's needed. Not sure of the availability of this powder in "your neck of the woods".

#8 ·
i have been shooting my knight disc extreem for years,i use either 150 grains of 777 or 110 grains,it depends on the range ill be shooting at.i always sight in at 100 yards or two inches high at 50.i can shoot one inch groups at 100 yards all day long as long as i keep it clean and do my part.i normally use saboted 300 grain barnes bullets.i would not stick to power belts or anything else until you determine what shoots best.i once left tripple seven in my knight for one year to see if i got any damage,it shot fine after one year with no damage,i do not reccomend this however clean fairly soon if using anything but 777 old semperfi

#9 ·
as most black powder graulations are different you really need to read the manufacture's suggested loading guide line. I shoot black powder, pyrodex and black horn. If my memory serves me the 100 gr mark for black powder is to be used as an equivent volume measurement for the pyrodex. Two 50 gr pellets are not equal to 100 grs of any loose powder, no matter what is said. My son could shoot all day with his Knight and 2 -50 gr pellets but when he shot my TC with 100 grs of pyrodex it was 1 shot and crawl back to the truck. He was 14 at the time. I shoot TC 250 shockwaves with 100 gr of black horn in my TC triumph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.