The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have we been asked that question when someone purchases a gun and then comes to us to identify what they have and the caliber? I’m probably odd man out here but it always leaves my scratching my head a bit, wondering why anyone would buy something not knowing what it was. If you don’t know what it is then how in the heck do you know what to pay for it let alone if you can find ammunition or components? I suppose that’s why Vegas never made a dime off of me as I’m just not the gambling sort. Now if it’s a wall hanger or you’re the type that has the knowledge to make your own components/ammunition then sure, But if not? I just don’t get it but then there I go again, trying to make sense out of everything. Ugh, I drive myself nuts sometimes. 🙄

·
Registered
239 Posts
How many times have we been asked that question when someone purchases a gun and then comes to us to identify what they have and the caliber? I’m probably odd man out here but it always leaves my scratching my head a bit, wondering why anyone would buy something not knowing what it was. If you don’t know what it is then how in the heck do you know what to pay for it let alone if you can find ammunition or components? I suppose that’s why Vegas never made a dime off of me as I’m just not the gambling sort. Now if it’s a wall hanger or you’re the type that has the knowledge to make your own components/ammunition then sure, But if not? I just don’t get it but then there I go again, trying to make sense out of everything. Ugh, I drive myself nuts sometimes. 🙄

I doubt you are alone. I am new here, but I read some of those posts and just shake my head, other times, some of them give me a smile.

·
Super Moderator
43,852 Posts
Well, it might just tickle your fancy. It could be so ugly it's cute. And the price doesn't floor you and you say "What the heck?" Then it follows you home, like a little puppy.
But still. . . . . I want to kinda know what I am buying before I plop down a "fist full of dollars".

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Reminds me of garage sales and wondering what the heck is that? Half a brain should prevent you from buying it. Then too, after buying something like that you are left with the problem of disposing of it unless you just like clutter.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,604 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’d say most of the regulars here on TFF would have a pretty good idea on most anything you’d put in front of them. And if not they’d for sure know how to verify a gun was sound and what could be involved in producing the necessary ammunition. I guess most of us know what we know and we know what we don’t know.

·
Premium Member
15,225 Posts
I believe I'm with Mark, Dave and others. If I don't know what it is odds are I certainly have no interest in owning it. Regarding firearms, I want to know what the firearm is. The cartridge for which it's chambered is not so important, I can figure that out and what it shoots.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
I am the opposite of my wife....she will buy ANYTHING, merely because it's there...I, on the other hand, will ponder and think and finally decide it doesn't fit my budget, or it's too large, or too small, or wrong color, caliber or style, so I wind up paying for her whims after she lugs it home while I spend useless time asking her WHY, WHAT use is it, and still wind up paying her bills....Yes, I have lectured her countless times about her habits, but it does nothing more than heat the ambient air....Sorry, I'm just bent that way...wish I could afford her....

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I've seen something I wanted, walked around and thought about, came back and it was gone.
I think we've all done that. The last one for me was a nice H&R Buffalo Classic in 38-55 for a nice price. I debated on it because I didn't want another caliber to reload and figured 38-55 would be hard to find and expensive when I did. I walked around for a few minutes and said WTH but when I went back to get it it was gone. I stopped by Wallyworld on the way home and right next to the 30-30 ammo they had 38-55 for two bucks a box more than 30-30.

·
Premium Member
20,222 Posts
How many times have we been asked that question when someone purchases a gun and then comes to us to identify what they have and the caliber?
I always think about that too. Hard to believe i'd go to a gun show and plop down $500.00 or so and not know anything about it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts