The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I usually know something about a gun before I buy it, but not always. I ran across an old Mossberg a while back that had me scratching my head. I ponied up the $180 and took it home, turned out to be a rare first year model 44. What puzzled me was this one was tube fed, all model 44's made after that were mag fed. Sometimes you just have to take the leap, I have hesitated a couple times and lost out on some nice guns.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I'm sure you're referring to the vintage guns, but it happens with modern guns too. I hear people in gun stores all the time who know absolutely jack about what they're looking at. I really have to bite my tongue at times. I can usually tell them the prices being asked at places all over town and the best interweb prices. Especially in the BIG gimmick stores, I have to just shut up and walk away when I see someone about to pay $200 too much for a common gun. It's not worth getting involved.

·
Super Moderator
29,916 Posts
I bought an Enfield No 1 Mk III and didn't know much about old military rifles. The price seemed right.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I bought an Enfield No 1 Mk III and didn't know much about old military rifles. The price seemed right.
I'll bet you knew what it was and what round it fired though. What you're describing is why I can't get into vintage guns. I don't know the prices and I don't know the many variants. I don't have enough gray matter to retain all of that. Some of the guys on this forum impress the heck out of me what they retain about old guns.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I'll bet you knew what it was and what round it fired though. What you're describing is why I can't get into vintage guns. I don't know the prices and I don't know the many variants. I don't have enough gray matter to retain all of that. Some of the guys on this forum impress the heck out of me what they retain about old guns.
Where's your sense of adventure? :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,239 Posts
Lately, a lot of the questions make me think of the YouTube video with the “Antifa” kid trying to demonstrate how a Glock works. It seems like they have amassed about the same or less amount of knowledge as that kid before buying a gun.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I was at a gun auction and auctioneer was holding up a revolver. Bid was $30. I bid $40, then $60. Sold. I had no idea what I just paid $60 for till I completed the purchase. It was an older S&W .38 with a 3 screw face, 3in barrel, and had a lanyard loop. I was happy. Bought a nice department store single shot 12 ga. For $50 at the same sale. Have the shotgun to my nephew for his 13th birthday. He was happy!

·
TFF Chaplain
21,602 Posts
I've seen something I wanted, walked around and thought about, came back and it was gone.
I have a habit of doing that too. I add the prayer, "Father if you want us to have this, please keep it for us." Sometimes God wants us to have it, sometimes He doesn't.

·
GUNZILLA
8,021 Posts
Mark, you had me going for a little while when I read the title of your thread. I'm thinking to myself, "why would he buy something he did not know what it was" did not sound like you. I like firearms but stick to more modern calibers because I am lazy about learning on how to convert ammo that is no longer available or would not want to deal with the hassles of finding parts for it. Glad you did not buy anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm a terrible impulse gun buyer. I never bought a gun that I didn't know what it was, but I have bought guns that I haven't researched. Sometimes it works out, Smith &Wesson SV9DE, needed a trigger kit, but now very good. Ruger American 9 MM, didn't. It produced random flyers and I never did figure out why. Russian Nagant revolver, Good Lord, why? Ruger PCC, a winner for sure. I could go on, but I won more times than I lost.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I usually know something about a gun before I buy it, but not always. I ran across an old Mossberg a while back that had me scratching my head. I ponied up the $180 and took it home, turned out to be a rare first year model 44. What puzzled me was this one was tube fed, all model 44's made after that were mag fed. Sometimes you just have to take the leap, I have hesitated a couple times and lost out on some nice guns.
You can go look at the thread Gun you wish you would have bought and didn't | Page 2 | The Firearms Forum . Lot's of regrets for not knowing and not buying.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I did this when I bought my Mosin Nagant M44. It was 2 weeks til deer season and the gun I was gonna borrow from a buddy was a no go, he decided to borrow it to his nephew. I saw an add for the Mosin at a sporting goods store for $49.99 ( no that isnt a mistype). So I called the store to see if they had any in stock, he said he had 5 left and would hold it for me Until I got there, it was a 75 mile drive. I had no idea what I was buying. The add had no pictures and I had no Idea what a Mosin Nagant M44 even was all I knew was it was $50 and came with a box of ammo and that the guy said I could hunt deer with it. It has been my deer rifle ever since, going on 20 years now.

·
Premium Member
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I certainly have guns I’ve passed on only wishing now I had made the purchase however I have no regrets of not buying a gun for which I was completely clueless as to what it was. I’ll attribute that to the fact that I still don’t know what it was. The ones I let slip by are a Colt Lightning 22, a Type 14 Nambu with holster-100 rounds of ammo and reloading dies, and lastly a 44 Automag that came with the additional 357 barrel along with a few hundred rounds of ammo-brass and reloading dies for each. All of them were excellent representations just too expensive for what my wallet would allow at the time.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts