I just don't like plastic guns

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gvw3, Apr 16, 2018.

What type of handgun do you prefer

Poll closed Apr 19, 2018.
  1. Only Steel. No plastic guns for me

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. I prefer polymer handguns.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. I like them both the same.

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

While I prefer wood, and steel, I do own a few plastic guns. I carried a 1911A for years, and love that gun. But now days I carry a Springfield Armory XDs in .45. Weighs a lot less, and I'm only giving up one round.

Ksman75, SilasW, chaswea and 8 others like this.
  2. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I marked “I like them both the same” since there wasn’t a more accurate option.

It depends on the gun and the purpose. Must say, my EYES usually lead me to blued steel and wood!
    But not always.

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 5 others like this.

3. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have to giggle when some of you talk about these new fangeled modern plastic guns when they have been out for over 30 years!:D

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 10 others like this.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Funny, guys, but I am 76 and I never did any of that old stuff. I watched TV, had indoor plumbing all my life, bought food at the super market, wrote with a ball point pen, never shoveled snow or milked a cow or fed the animals. I must have missed something.

But I hate plastic guns. I love computers and the fact that my cell phone allows me to communicate with loved ones almost any time I choose. I love digital photography after spending years in the darkroom trying to make my B&W pictures better (do that today in color with a click of the mouse). Life is better (not as much better than some of you who lived in areas outside the city) today than it was in my youth. The exception is there are way too many people.

There is NO plastic gun that even inspires me to buy one but there are many metal and wood gun that I have and some I still lust after. Plastic guns are butt ugly and pure utility...nothing else. I buy guns for what they look like and what they are capable of. I NEVER buy ugly guns and plastic guns are ugly.

LDBennett

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 4 others like this.
  5. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA

Funny, Im 21 and did a lot of things "the old way"! I grew up farming though. I had to walk the fence and (in the winter) put in hay before school. Spent summer priming 'baccer by hand and planting a massive family garden that fed 3 generations of family, with the help of a 1940s ford tractor. I even walked to high school since it was only a mile.

But back on track, I love all sorts of guns. Sure, my PT111 isnt winning any beauty contests, but its light, compact, and goes bang on command.

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 5 others like this.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Well, I'm 66 and I have had to milk the cow, slop the hogs, and feed the chickens before I went to school. Never had to walk to school during those times but there were two different periods when I did walk. Once period we lived across the road from the school and the other period the walk was about two miles.

Now, as far as plastic guns, I can take them or leave them. I do have some plastic ones, both pistol and rifle.

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 6 others like this.
  7. Michael Tinker Pearce

Michael Tinker Pearce Well-Known Member

I selected 'metal and wood' because guns are primarily a hobby for me at this time, and I like wood and metal better. But if I still carried a gun for duty it would probably be a Glock 17 or something similar.

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 3 others like this.
  8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

LD, I think I am speaking for at least a few of us when I ask you to be more clear, because we are not exactly sure how you feel about plastic guns:D:p:p

Ksman75, Twicepop, carver and 8 others like this.
  9. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I'm not all that hard on guns and at my age plastic guns will last a lifetime! I have both and like them both. I do like feel of the 1911 over any of my plastic guns though. But I enjoy shooting the plastic.

Ksman75, carver, chaswea and 4 others like this.
  10. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

What the heck, it's all a matter of taste. I am ambivalent when it comes to plastic firearms. If the Bersa Thunder 380 has a polymer frame I do own one. However, it hasn't seen the light of day since I bought a CZ-50, CZ-83 and CZ-82 and, I only carry them in town. Out here it's a 696 S&W in 44 Spl. or Freedom Arms Mod. 97 in 45 Colt. Ever so often I find myself reaching for my 1911 but honestly don't remember the last time I holstered it. I'm really a wheelgun guy.

Grew up doing everything terry and George mentioned at one time or another. We did have electricity, barely, but no running water in the house unless I ran after it and brought it in. Until 2001 we were still raising beef and had 3 acres of "pick-ur-own" produce. I do miss my cows and putting up hay, good hay. Alfalfa was always a treat to put up which I suppose is why I always kept a 6-8 acre patching going somewhere on the place. A good grass/legume hay was also enjoyable to work up. I HATED cutting weeds and sprouts and calling it hay or helping neighbors put up stuff I wouldn't feed my cows on a bet. Down the road from me about 2 miles another neighbor had a fine stand of about 11 acres of warm season prairie grass and I'd put it up and split it with him. Man!!! That stuff made some hay and good hay at that! Lots of folks said "cows won't eat that". Buffalo seemed to do pretty good on it and they're a ruminant as well as cows. My cows sure didn't have any problems eating and doing well on it.

Ksman75, carver, drymag and 5 others like this.
  11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I had to walk 5 miles to school - up hill both ways. Top it off with all of the snow we had in Redondo Beach, California. Couldn't begin to tell you how deep it got. Tail deep to a tall giraffe.:eek:
    :D:D:D

Ksman75, Twicepop, carver and 8 others like this.
  12. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was an all metal type of guy who still carries a full size 1911, but when I purchased the Walther PPQ for the wife which she picked, I cannot deny that it is a great gun, with a great trigger out of the box and very accurate. Than I traded a 450 marlin for an FNX tactical 45 and I must say that this too is a fantastic gun. Than I got a PMR 30 22 mag which I carry on occasion in summer with light clothes and this too is a great gun. But at a gun show I inherently bypass all the black guns and look only at the metal.

Ksman75, carver, drymag and 4 others like this.
  13. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

What difference does it make what material your gun is made of. As long as you are not abusing your firearm it will last. I own one of the Plum Crazy composite AR lowers & have used it on everything from a 5.45x39 upper to a buddy using it for hunting with a .458 SOCOM upper. Everyone tells me that their plastic lower just fell apart well something had to have happened to it. I have seen guys show up at the range with their guns stacked loose in the bead of their truck but they don't understand how there guns get all beat up.
    I've owned new steel guns that the manufacture can't find the problem but they admit there is a problem. ;)
    As long as the gun functions like it is supposed to with any ammo you can feed it. It's a good gun no matter what it's made from.
    If you have bought a gun & it didn't function after you left it in the bottom of your fishing box for two seasons without cleaning or oiling IT'S NOT THE GUNS FAULT.
    If you bought a AR with a composite lower & was late getting to the range to meet up with your buddy. So you put the guns in the trunk of the car, tossed your coat over them, ran back in the house to grab the range bag & ammo box then set the two on top of your coat. The road to the range is a little bumpy so things got shook around a little. When you got to the range & after a few rounds downrange the lower broke. But you tell the buddy it's not my fault I take good care of my guns, it must be a bad plastic lower. LOL

Ksman75, carver, jsjj388 and 4 others like this.
  14. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I don't care for Blaser's and they're fine firearms or, "good guns" and, they're wood & steel. The initial post was not whether or not plastic/polymer firearms were any good but whether or not someone liked them. gvw said in his initial post they were good and it appears everyone else agrees. I haven't cared for the M-16/AR-15 since basic training in 1973 and my opinion hasn't changed but, they're still "good guns"....even though they're a rifle and not a gun in its strictest definition.

If I'm laying out my cash for a firearm it makes all the difference in the world what it's made of. That has nothing to do with whether or not it will last or how good it is. It has everything to do with whether or not said firearm appeals to me and, I don't like ugly firearms. That takes in nearly all the plastic/polymer firearms I've seen to date. As I said in my first post, it is entirely a matter taste and, there is no accounting for taste. Just because something does not appeal to someone does not, by extension, infer they believe it to be of inferior quality. I have some old German firearms in the toy box that might not appeal to you. Either by their appearance, action, cartridge they're chambered for or all the dings and scratches on the stock and metal or their style. I can assure you all the plastic firearms there is do not match their quality and workmanship....and they're still working and shooting just fine after over 120 years. (I'm more than confident there's going to be a lot of plastic/polymer firearms still around when they're that old and shooting just fine) Some aren't shooting as good because, as you mentioned, they didn't see as good care as others. Whether or not they appeal to you has no bearing on their quality or how "good" they are. You simply might not care for them and that's fine. It is, after all, a matter of taste.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    ms6852, carver, jsjj388 and 3 others like this.
  15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I voted "steel, no polymer for me" but in reality, I much prefer steel, but I do own some polymer guns.

ms6852, Ksman75, carver and 4 others like this.