I just have one question???????????? ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

BlackGun
    (9/18/01 6:58:06 am)
    I just have one question????????????
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JUST ONE QUESTION!
    NOW that the President has called us to
    prayer.....
    NOW that Congress has called us to prayer.....
    NOW that our Governor has called us to prayer....
    NOW that the NY city Mayor has called us to
    prayer....
    NOW that the "liberal" media and most other
    branches of our American
    society have called us to prayer.....
    AND NOW that our churches are assembling in
    special prayer....
    "Honorable" Justices of the Supreme Court, I have
    only one question..
    Would it be O.K. to pray in our schools........??

An American Citizen & Christian

Zigzag2
    (9/18/01 7:05:17 am)
    Re: I just have one question????????????
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amen Brother...

cointoss 2
    9/18/01 7:41:11 am)
    Damn good idea Blackgun.
    cointoss2

KimberRuger
    (9/18/01 7:41:33 am)
    It's always made me wonder ....... this "seperation of church and state" thing ........

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag .........."

"......One nation under God....."

I've always wondered why some idiot didn't fight until that was changed. After all, it's said daily in our schools - at least it was when I was in school.

bondai

9/18/01 10:31:50 am)
    If it wasn't for the ACLU this would be a free country.....

The Mole from GB
    (9/18/01 2:41:18 pm)
    Well Spoken!!!!!!!!

M Opaliski
    (9/18/01 3:43:15 pm)
    Contrary to popular belief, prayer is allowed in the public school system. As for mandating a specific religion for all to suffer the bias views of ... I hope it never happens.

You are entitled to your beliefs, you are free to worship as you wish ... isn't that enough?

LIKTOSHOOT
    (9/18/01 6:19:25 pm)
    EXACTLY! Matthew, short and sweet.....well said.
    I could be wrong......Nah!

KimberRuger
    (9/18/01 6:25:44 pm)
    Matthew ?

"Prayer is allowed in the Public School system" ?????

Seems I recall prayer prior to a football game last year being nixed on account of it might offend someone.

In fact, I think I remember a player being pulled from a game or something stupid for blessing himself after a touchdown.

The "powers that be" considered it "demonstrating".

So, while you might be right that silent prayer individually may be accepted, "praying together as a group is offensive nad can not be tolerated" is the message I hear.

cointoss 2
    9/18/01 8:54:13 pm)
    Not ashamed....

> > Since the Pledge of Allegiance and The Lord's Prayer are not allowed
    in most public schools anymore because the word "God" is mentioned....a kid
    in Arizona wrote the attached NEW School prayer. I liked it....

> > Now I sit me down in school, Where praying is against the rule.

> > For this great nation under God finds mention of Him very odd. If
    Scripture now the class recites, It violates the Bill of Rights. And anytime
    my head I bow, Becomes a Federal matter now.

> > Our hair can be purple, orange or green, That's no offense; it's a
    freedom scene.The law is specific, the law is precise.

> > Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

> > For praying in a public hall Might offend someone with no faith at all.
    In silence alone we must meditate,

> > God's name is prohibited by the state.

> > We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks, And pierce our noses,
    tongues and cheeks.

> > They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible. To quote the Good Book makes
    me liable.

> > We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen, And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior
    King.

> > It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong, We're taught that such
    "judgments" do not belong.

> > We can get our condoms and birth controls; Study witchcraft, vampires
    and totem poles.

> > But the Ten Commandments are not allowed; No word of God must reach this
    crowd.

> > It's scary here I must confess; When chaos reigns the school's a
    mess. So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
    > >Should I be shot; My soul please take . |

> > Amen
    > >
    > > If you aren't ashamed to do this, please pass this on. Jesus said, " If
    you are ashamed of me," I will be ashamed of you before my Father."
    > > Not ashamed. Passing this on. >>

BlackGun
    (9/18/01 9:44:56 pm)
    Go! Cointoss, BG ain't mad at ya or his father

shooter22
    (9/18/01 11:02:52 pm)
    Guys, I am not the most consistent church goer in the world. I truely do believe in God, Heaven, and the bad side, hell.

But why do we all need to have our prayers heard by a person near to us. Does not a silent prayer come from the heart? If it is not heard by someone near, does it still not exist? Regardless where you are or what you are doing, no one can ever stop a prayer said in silence. I pray for everone on this board every day, but I don't need to type it to have those prayers heard. They only need to be heard by one individual, and he can hear ALL!

HerbyJr
    (9/18/01 11:11:12 pm)
    Shooter,

The main reason I support prayer in schools and other public places is the message it sends out. It is a strong example to our children, our neighbors and our enemies, but mostly our children are my concern. I believe people learn by example rather than words. The "do as I say and not as I do" thing doesn't really work. If our kids see their friends, teacher and even role models praying, I believe it sends a strong positive message to them. I believe a silent prayer is as strong in God's eyes as a prayer spoken aloud, but it is the secondary effect that often impacts our culture.

H.

shooter22
    (9/19/01 12:09:20 am)
    Oh, Don't get me wrong, I did not mean to say keep it secret, keep it silent. But mostly make it seen. If I decide I need to pray, I don't just sit there dumbfoundly, I bow my head in full. I feel that this can have the effect that needs portrayed. I just don't see the need to express my words on those that don't appreciate their meaning. Also, I am saying, no one can stop you from bowing you head and praying, they may tape your mouth shut, but can't stop you from thinking, with your head down!

BlackGun
    (9/19/01 7:46:11 am)
    Guys just throwing my opinions in here. I pray all the time, that's my right, whether it be oral or silent. The fact is because someone said we couldn't, that why. When I was growing up it was a way of life to have a prayer over the intercom and a pledge of allegence to the flag of the United States of America. A way of honoring God and country, now some disbelievers say "NO" and it stops. How much more will be taken away from us. Some Athiest like Madline O'Hare have ruined a history of our culture for us. And this I still don't understand. Someone please explaine it to me, if you can
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze

AntiqueDr
    (9/19/01 7:59:44 am)
    The issue of prayer in school was not because it offended the Athiests. Most Athiests and agnostics simply dont care if you pray or not. The problem is that if you allow one segment to use school time to pray, then in all fairness you must allow ANY other segment the same amount of time. So, with all of the cultures now represented in America, would there be time for schoolwork after the praying?

Kids that feel the need to pray can and should do so, on an individual basis. Same applies for adults. Individual religion and faith, whatever the brand, is a good thing. The problem (and its a BIG problem) is ORGANIZED religion.

Think carefully about that...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

AGunguy
    (9/19/01 9:59:20 am)
    I sadly agree with the doc, organized religion is a problem. Not only does it tend to step on other peoples toes about faith, it shelters the cults and other fanatical zealots.

The church is no [go between] gaurantee to get you to heaven. Its your commitment to God that'll get you to heaven. Your faith, your appreciation in the love God has extended you, your love for your fellow mankind.

I cannot understand a world order religion like the far east that condones murdering folks in the name of Islam is nothing more than organized evil designing men who want to control others from the cradle to the grave.

I don't go to church alot these days, but my church is between me and God, the temple is within myself. That way no outside organized influence is going to dictate my responsibility to my God or my fellow man. If I be good man of good moral character then God will know it. He will also know if I'm just a leaner who is sucking up to others in the organized church whatever it may be.

M Opaliski
    (9/19/01 1:32:01 pm)
    Many people believe that prayer is not allowed in the public schools ... this is wrong. Unfortunately, this mistaken notion sometimes extends to teachers, principals and school boards. Prayer is in fact allowed in the public school system ... in school busses, at the flag pole, in student religious clubs, in the hallways, cafeteria, etc. However, it is not normally permitted in the classroom itself when a class is in session. To do would violate the principle of the Separation of Church and State which is defined by court interpretations of the First Amendment to the Constitution. The separation principle is extended to Public Schools as an arm of the government.

As interpreted by the courts, the Constitution's First Amendment requires that public school teachers, principals, and school boards be religiously neutral to the effect that they do not promote a particular religion as being superior to any other, promote religion in general as superior to a secular approach to life, promote secularism in general as superior to a religious approach to life, tend to be antagonistic to religion in general or a particular religious belief in particular, tend to be antagonistic to secularism and they must neither advance nor inhibit religion.

The law, as interpreted by various levels of courts prohibits public schools from requiring students to recite prayers in class, public prayers at high school games lead by teachers or coaches not by students, promoting any one denomination or religion at the expense of another and banning the wearing of religious clothing and symbols provided they are not disruptive.

On the other hand the Constitution allows for religion at graduation ceremonies, it allows teaching the positive and negative effects of religion on society may be studied in history, literature, comparative religion, and other courses so long as one religion is not presented as being superior, student religious clubs are permitted so long as any other student clubs are allowed, it allows for a moment of silence is during which a student can pray, meditate, plan their day, or engage in any other silent mental activity and prayers outside of school building are also permitted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.