The Firearms Forum banner

I just went up another notch

672 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  thomas15 
#1 ·
my reloading game has escalated as of now. I have wanted a Chargemaster but the $400 list price kept it at bay. I've been struggling with load development, making plinking loads, and general reloading with a powder measure, beam scale and trickler. Then figure in how I have joined a benchrest league, that's worth about 35 precision loads each week. My hands are getting tired. My eyes can't take much more focusing on the scale pointers.

Then the other day I heard Amazon had a screaming deal on the Chargemaster combo. With my Prime membership it came to $248 with tax. My 3 RCBS 505's, and my Herters undampened scales are getting mothballed. This thing is going front and center. I might even mount my Hornady measure somewhere else.

Am I going to blindly trust this new tool? No. I will bring out a 505 when I'm in doubt and occasionally verify with it. But I have to say, after reading the instructions I am really looking forward to this next step. They seem to have their heads screwed on straight at RCBS.

#2 ·
Congratulations and well done.

I have a set of three check weights made from paper clips or wire. One is @3.6 grains, a second is @ 8.0 grains, and the third is @26 grains. It doesn't matter how exacatly much they weigh, but they must weigh the same each time I start the balance up. These are a paper clip with a bit cut off and a piece of wire. The weights are close to the weights of powder charges I'll be using on a normal reloading session.

Each time I start a reloading session, I'll use the check weights to verify the scale's accuracy. (I have a different set of calibration weights that I use only for calibration.) If the check weights don't match, I check the balance and maybe change batteries. If that doesn't work, I recalibrate.

#7 ·
I was on the phone with him earlier. He ran a charge from his ChargeMaster while I was talking to him, then weighed it on 4 other scales, all reading the same weight.

Sorry that I got rid of mine :(.

Reactions: Big Mak
#6 ·
The thing I have found out about digital scales is;
1, Make sure that it is set up on a level surface, and that means fore and aft and right and left.
2, Turn it and let it set undisturbed for at least 10 minuets so the circuitry can settle down and stabilize.
3, Clean scale tray and pan of any residue of powder and the dry lubricants that are added to modern gun powders which can stick to them from static. These residues can weight as much as a 0.1 gr. and this can affect charge weight from loading session to the loading session.
4, Reduce air movement in the room as much as possible. This will cause the scale to fluctuate, if that means closing air register vents, doors, windows, and any fans.
5,Keep the air temperature as stable as possible. Any air temperature change will cause a change in the scales zero. Position a free standing thermometer near the scale and monitor it. If a temperature change dose accrue, Re zero the scale.
6, If the scale dose not come with any calibrated weights, get a set. RCBS sells a multi weight set. The set comes with a tweezers and use it and clean them with acetone. If any of the weights are touched the oil from skin will add weight and left on the brass calibration weights will cause oxidation and if the calibration weights are cleaned, it will remove the oxidation and make the calibration weight lighter. If the weights need to cleaned for any reason, use only acetone which will not leave any residue which in turn will add weight to the calibration weights. Always close the case for the calibration weights after the removal of one or more of the calibration weights so as minimize any dust from contaminating the rest of the calibration weights.
*, With exception of step #2, this is also applied to balance beam scales.

If these rules are followed, the accuracy the scale will be maximized.

#8 ·
The thing I have found out about digital scales is;
1, Make sure that it is set up on a level surface, and that means fore and aft and right and left.
2, Turn it and let it set undisturbed for at least 10 minuets so the circuitry can settle down and stabilize.
3, Clean scale tray and pan of any residue of powder and the dry lubricants that are added to modern gun powders which can stick to them from static. These residues can weight as much as a 0.1 gr. and this can affect charge weight from loading session to the loading session.
4, Reduce air movement in the room as much as possible. This will cause the scale to fluctuate, if that means closing air register vents, doors, windows, and any fans.
5,Keep the air temperature as stable as possible. Any air temperature change will cause a change in the scales zero. Position a free standing thermometer near the scale and monitor it. If a temperature change dose accrue, Re zero the scale.
6, If the scale dose not come with any calibrated weights, get a set. RCBS sells a multi weight set. The set comes with a tweezers and use it and clean them with acetone. If any of the weights are touched the oil from skin will add weight and left on the brass calibration weights will cause oxidation and if the calibration weights are cleaned, it will remove the oxidation and make the calibration weight lighter. If the weights need to cleaned for any reason, use only acetone which will not leave any residue which in turn will add weight to the calibration weights. Always close the case for the calibration weights after the removal of one or more of the calibration weights so as minimize any dust from contaminating the rest of the calibration weights.
*, With exception of step #2, this is also applied to balance beam scales.

If these rules are followed, the accuracy the scale will be maximized.
Good info 1957. The Chargemaster he bought is also on my wish list but it's backburnered for now until I get more ammo and some other things for the TFF Annual Gettogether.If the scope I installed on my AR tonight doesn't work out tomorrow,I may have to get another scope before Sept.Sometimes it sucks being on a limited income.One thing at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.