The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been forever since I had the fun of taking apart a standard Government Model and repairing or just changing parts. Today I had to play with my GSG 1911 22 and was I humbled.

I decided to replace my broken firing pin ( I learned that you cannot dry fire this gun like I do with all my others). I also wanted to replace the sear spring and the safety.

I had no end of problems replacing the sear spring. No matter how I tried I couldn't get the hammer to stay back and the 1/2 cock to function. I spent a few hours and tried 3 different springs. Finally I watched a couple of videos on You Tube and saw where the problem was. After that I got it on the first try. (O.K. as I said it's been a long time for me to take apart a GM).

When I took the safety off the little pin underneath flew into the never to be seen reaches of the garage. I had to wait a few days for the replacement to come in and learned to take apart small pieces while the gun is in a gallon Baggie. This captured the pin a few times until I got it right.

Hopefully I'll get to shoot it tomorrow or Saturday to see how good my build went.

I know, when I get done adding all these new parts to my $300 gun I'll still have a $300 gun but look at all the fun I'm having.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
I die a thousand deaths when I fix one of my guns. That is, not because of the work but because of the waiting for parts to arrive. Once the gun is apart I just have to get it back together (a metal issue, I am sure!). Waiting for the parts to arrive, sometimes weeks, kills me mentally. Don't those parts providers know my gun is all apart waiting of them to deliver?

My gun room ethers have collected many flying parts never to be found again. Watching a teaching professional gunsmith, I see him disassemble over carpet on the bench. He stops any parts exit by covering the gun with his hands and adjusting the aim for the potential flying part into the carpet. (don't use shag carpet!!!). :) :)

LDBennett

·
Registered
374 Posts
Its still a $300 dollar gun if you do it yourself of pay a pro gunsmith whatever it would cost to have them do it for you. Half of what I like about ownership is learning about them, how they work, and a certain pride in keeping them going myself within reason.

I can't stand things taken apart myself. If it is put together - then I can't lose parts, or get involved in other things and end up leaving it for who knows how long. I'll reassemble a gun without the needed part, and take it apart again when the part comes. Usually, the extra practice assembling and taking apart makes it easier to actually get the part in there when it does come.

I'm starting to learn to do a take apart step holding a gun inside a cardboard box, for the most part - a spring will just hit the side and be contained. A few times when in doubt, I just grab a Walmart bag and hold it inside the bag - seems to work OK for the most part, but nothing is perfect.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
lost a simple screw recently for one of my saa colts. fell on the floor and no matter how hard i looked i could not find it. have extras in a locked little case. my wife found it 3 days later, really bounced a long way. we have all been through that experience.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used to just put small pieces in a little container to hold them. Now if I am diligent - I actually take a piece of kitchen plastic wrap and break off little pieces, and wrap pieces together by part group - so, say - trigger, trigger spring, trigger pin... ejector, ejector spring, ejector pin .. just removes any real issue of my mixing up pings and springs … hold open latch, hold open spring, hold open arm pin … part, pin, spring seems to be a common pattern and a lot of those pins and springs look strikingly similar to me, but they are all a little different.

·
No Power Options
13,796 Posts
I use a mechanic`s magnetic parts holder, I think its the 10 inch rectangle and any loose spring or screw will jump right on it and I mean jump, not counting the unknown compressed spring that takes flight....lol

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
( I learned that you cannot dry fire this gun like I do with all my others)
I've always heard that we shouldn't dryfire a rimfire, but what is the solution? I'm waiting on a Chiappa firing pin to arrive from Italy and have been for months... The thing is, you're probably not going to do a press check after each round fired to make sure the thing picked up another round, and if it didn't, you're going to eventually dry fire it.

·
Premium Member
9,673 Posts
You NEVER dry fire a .22 even the ones that the factory says you can. Because those have a cut out on the firing pin and a pin going thru the bolt to stop the firing pin from going to far forward so it does not hit the receiver but it will wear down the firing pin AND bend the retaining pin. Use a snap cap or a spent case to keep it from damaging the firing pin.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You NEVER dry fire a .22 even the ones that the factory says you can. Because those have a cut out on the firing pin and a pin going thru the bolt to stop the firing pin from going to far forward so it does not hit the receiver but it will wear down the firing pin AND bend the retaining pin. Use a snap cap or a spent case to keep it from damaging the firing pin.
That's what we're told, of course, but what is the solution to the bolt eventually landing on an empty chamber because it didn't pick up the next round? Press check after each shot fired? Maybe never own a mag fed .22?

That's the frustration I have with the Chiappa. Fortunately my other .22 platforms are a bit better quality, but it will eventually happen.

·
Premium Member
9,673 Posts
That's what we're told, of course, but what is the solution to the bolt eventually landing on an empty chamber because it didn't pick up the next round? Press check after each shot fired? Maybe never own a mag fed .22?

That's the frustration I have with the Chiappa. Fortunately my other .22 platforms are a bit better quality, but it will eventually happen.
I guess I should have said do not do it on purpose. Of course you will have the accidental times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts