The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
This just brought back a giggle. Was looking for an oddball cartridge for a friend. Large gun shop, told them I was looking for some .32 Short Colt ammo. A young clerk (think I have underwear older than he was) snidely informed me that the length of the revolver did not matter- ,32 was .32, Thanked him, and told him I was looking for a CARTRIDGE called the ,32 Short Colt, aka .320 European revolver- which was a smaller diameter case than a ,32 S&W. Blank look.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When this thread was started I went to the "Cartridges of the World" book and read about the 45 Colt Government. It's an interesting discussion in COTW and the article above.
Different names, same cartridge. How many novices haven't been able to find .30 or .32 WCF ammo for their old M94's, or .30 Army for their Krag, or .30 Gov't M54 Winchester???

·
Registered
61 Posts
The amount of firearms related misinformation on the net is astounding ...
it boggles the mind .
And some folks swear if it's on the net ... it's true .
Want to learn about cartridges ... pick up a copy of the book " Cartridges of the World " the info in it stands a much better chance of being correct than the " Fairy Tale" I just read about the 45 Colt and the 45 Long Colt .... that was as wrong as the day is long !
Gary
Did you read about colt 45. It’s either a malt Liquoir or a football players number

·
Premium Member
18,260 Posts
Having some small amount of experience with Cartridges of the World and European cartridges, I would suggest caution when researching European cartridges and COTW. The well known, major cartridges are fine but, when you start looking at the odd stuff there is ample errors. That isn't an indictment of the reference work. Since Frank Barnes first put it together much knowledge and information has come to light on those old cartridges that simply wasn't known back then. The editors are attempting to correct the errors as they can.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
.30 Gov't is short for .30 Gov't 06, It is the .30/06. You're right about the .30 Army, it is the .30/40 Krag. Other cartridges with 2 names are .244 Remington(6mm Remington) and .280 Remington(7mm Express).
Winchester called it the 30 Gov't 06. Before that it was Ball Cartridge, Caliber .30, Model of 1906. :ROFLMAO: I'm just messin wit ya, not trying to jerk your chain. .275 Rigby and 7mm Mauser(7X57)are the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The confusion is probably due to the US adopting the Schofield revolver, which has a shorter case than the 45 Colt. The Colt has a smaller rim diameter, and the Schofield has a shorter case. The Gov. played around and in the late 1880s, came up with the 45 Government cartridge. It has the case length of the Schofield cartridge, with the rim diameter of the Colt cartridge. Thus it could be used in both revolvers. Many people thought that the 45 gov was less powerful that the 45 Colt, and asked for the long 45. Thus the 45 long was born, in language, but not in fact. I believe that no company labeled their boxes "Long" until after WW-2. So at one time, there were three 45 cartridges: 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, and 45 Gov.

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
Some of the foreign manufactures mark boxes as .45 Long Colt but the head stamps are still .45 Colt. I have never seen a .45 Long Colt or .45 LC head stamp. Some of the Italians mark their guns as .45 Long Colt and that doesn't help matters.
Yup.. BVAC cowboy ammo marks their boxes as 45 LC, and Fiocchi marks their cowboy ammo boxes as 45 Long Colt.

·
Premium Member
18,260 Posts
When I started shooting 45 Colt, LONG AGO, none of the confusion existed. There was either 45 Colt or 45 ACP/Auto. That the other cartridges existed contemporary with the 45 Colt is indisputable but, only serious shooters of old revolvers and cartridges were aware of them and didn't confuse them. Today, as has been mentioned, there is so much less than accurate information out there that everyone with a smart phone and goober is an overnight expert.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have posted this somewhere before: While a range officer I noticed a customer having trouble loading his 45ACP magazines. Long story short, he had gone to the local gun show and bought 500 rounds of 45 ammo.
Oop, I pointed out he had bought 500 rounds of 45 Colt and not 45 ACP. Since I carry a 45 ACP firearm I showed hin whatt the difference was.
Sad part of the story, I don't have a 45 Colt chambered firearm and the gun show's policy was no returns of ammunition.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts