The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering giving up my shooting hobby until the supplies catch up with demand. The LGS where I buy most of my powder and primers got a new shipment of both last week. They called to tell me it had come in so I went over to buy some. They had CCI 500 primers marked $60.00/1,000 and power pistol powder marked $39.95/lb. I didn't buy anything.

Two weeks ago the same primers were $43.00/1000 and power pistol powder was $22.00/lb. They said the prices had gone up and they had to charge more. I think the real reason is they are the only people in town that have any to sell and they think they can charge whatever they want.

I have enough components on hand to load 2,000 .40 smith and 2,000 9mm and when that is gone I don't think I will buy any more. The guns will go in the safe and stay there until everything settles down. That may not happen until the next election, but I'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Wait at least 4 years to shoot again? That's a little drastic, don't ya think?

·
Super Moderator
31,953 Posts
I'm seriously considering giving up my shooting hobby until the supplies catch up with demand. The LGS where I buy most of my powder and primers got a new shipment of both last week. They called to tell me it had come in so I went over to buy some. They had CCI 500 primers marked $60.00/1,000 and power pistol powder marked $39.95/lb. I didn't buy anything.

Two weeks ago the same primers were $43.00/1000 and power pistol powder was $22.00/lb. They said the prices had gone up and they had to charge more. I think the real reason is they are the only people in town that have any to sell and they think they can charge whatever they want.

I have enough components on hand to load 2,000 .40 smith and 2,000 9mm and when that is gone I don't think I will buy any more. The guns will go in the safe and stay there until everything settles down. That may not happen until the next election, but I'll just wait and see.
I'm sure your LGS isn't buying direct but through a distributor so he may very well be telling you the truth. It's the distributor causing the gouging.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
haven't done much shooting lately either other than skeet once a week, just crunched for time and ammo/components are stupid expensive.

I usually go at least once a month for a whole day and expend stupid amounts of ammo, being much more conservative now. Supply will catch up soon enough, same as it did after the last two elections. Just a PITA is all.

don't need to shoot a lot of ammo, just shoot a mag a week or whatever to stay up on your skills without blowing massive amounts of ammo. Make a little go a long way and maybe up the time spent dryfiring and doing mag changes, etc...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same feeling, but I just conserve what I have. I have been able to find large pistol and large rifle primers pretty easily, though not the brand I prefer, but I will take what I can get now. I am running scared low on 22lr, and with my son now helping me shoot it up, it is going fast. I can't find anything but the expensive 22lr anywhere. I have been stopping by my lgs on a regular basis. Just got back from there, he had a bunch of 9mm 124fmj he just got in, as well as 38spl, and 45acp. I bought 10 boxes of each. His prices are not too bad, but have gone up about $1 a box. He is doing pretty good with powder, but can't get small rifle or pistol primers. Bullets are pretty much no existent, I ordered a bunch of Berry's for my 45acp from cabelas yesterday. Got a few boxes of hornady 225ftx for my 44mag from midway the other day. I go through about 3 to 400 a year in my 44, so I am set for a while there. I have been buying ammo for my handguns when I can find it where I can find it so i can at least get out and shoot them. Not finding any bulk 22 is what has me worried. My son waited a good long time and worked so hard so he could get his first 22 and soon he may not be ale to shoot it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Sometime within the next few days I plan on going up to Paducah to a couple of gun stores and see what I can get as far as primers and powder goes.

·
Registered
19,216 Posts
i used to go shooting 2x per week. between cheap commercial steel cased stuff.. and reloading.. i was doing ok.

now?

I've been shooting 2x since the last week of december.. :( trying to conserve ammo..

I'm seriously considering giving up my shooting hobby until the supplies catch up with demand. .

·
Registered
127 Posts
My strategy is to shoot more .22 when I go to the range then I follow with less of my 9mm and/or 45 which I reload. I still get range time but just elect to shoot less. I just hope that components become more available before I run out of all of it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
To the OP, I wouldn't allow the inflated price of one gun store to affect my beloved hobby - I would no longer Patronize his business and I would clearly and assertively call BULLSH*T on him. The big box ammo manufacturers are having their way with production and components but, things will stabilize in another 5-6 months. If you are planning on giving up easily you may be in the wrong hobby. Trust me, I've thought about the set of golf clubs selling some of my items would fund, but its just not worth it.. I enjoy it entirely too much and choose to keep watch on distributers, components are showing up, its just a matter of timing.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
This same thing happened 4 years ago. I missed the cutoff ordering a bunch of reloading supplies in the month OBAMA was inaugurated. The last of that order finally came in more than 6 months later. I just put the desired items on backorder and they trickled in from my supplier. After it all cooled down I bought cases of 22, both FED bulk and CCI SV. I am still loaded up from those purchases (components, powder, and 22's). I did not get caught this time with my pants down!

But this time it may be worse as gun control is on the table. While it is unlikely they'll get the assault weapons ban (AWB) they will get registration of all gun sales and may get ammo and reloading component limitations or registration or who knows what (??). They will get something through and the organized gun control nuts have figured out that guns need ammo. So they may try limits on it, somehow. The California legislature is already moving towards that as well as closing the AWB loophole (the bullet button that has allowed us CA only versions of most guns on the AWB list).

The point is it will take time for the shortages to clear up, the prices will not return totally to their former lows, and we may get controls on ammo and reloading components. At least that is my opinion. And all of this is because we stupidly elected the most liberal president of modern times, OBAMA! If you voted for him you best not complain about the current situation.

LDBennett

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ordered a case of 32 Win spcl and found out today only half a case came in.

A run on 32 Win spcl?????

I'm not quitting shooting but definitely not shooting quite as much. 20 rounds a week through my M1 instead of a hundred should still keep me in shooting shape and I have enough to last me a year doing it that way. By then a little sanity should have returned to the country.

·
Registered
5 Posts
trying to find ammo where i live is like finding waldo....unless you want to shoot a shotgun there isn't much ammo around and for reloading supplies everywhere i get stuff they have almost doubled in price. I was looking for .22 ammo and couldn't find any at the 5 local shops i frequent i had to go 80 miles to a few other shops and they were asking $56 for a 500 brick of cci ......its getting crazy

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been trying to buy a brick every 2 weeks of 22 CCI SV. Their price has been $40.00 for the past 3 years . Always in stock too.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
If you quit, they win...
Or you can't find ammo.

It's all but dried up here. I check every few days for .223, sometimes they've just gotten a shipment and i'm lucky to get two boxes (limit here) but more often than not it's all been bought up before I can get to it. I'll buy when and if I can find it, but that's becomming rare.

I've got a nice little stash but i'm in conservation mode right now, it's about like gold.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.