I met a History major and asked him... ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

Comment
    MediaMike1111
    (7/3/01 1:58:02 am)
    | Edit | Del All I met a History major and asked him...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tonight my family and I went out to dinner. My waiter turned out to be a history major/polisci minor at ASU. I asked him what he thought the 2nd Amendment was all about. He said it was a guarantee that we could keep militias (Nat'l Guard (sic)) in the individual States.

I asked him if he really thought that the other 9 Rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights were for Citizens but the 2nd was only for States, and he said yes. I asked him if he had read Federalist 45, and again he said that he had.

This is where the conversation got really interesting. I asked him, since it has already been established in court that the police have no obligation to stop a robbery that might be happening to him, how would he protect himself? He said that if people didn't have guns, he would not have to worry about that situation. I replied that if laws were passed to prohibit guns, if he thought that all the criminals (robbers) would turn theirs in. He reluctantly replied, no.

I said, if everyone on his block were armed, except him, and a sign were posted at the end of the block that stated "all of the houses but one on this block is defended with a 12 guage shotgun" if he thought that anyone would likely try to rob a house on his street.

The lightbulb went on, and he started thinking...

I finished with the fact that sentence structure in the 1700s was a little different than now. I told him "read the 2nd Amendment with the first (subordinate) phrase in the second position."

I hope he talks about this in class.

MediaMike
    Phoenix

Rons Toys
    (7/3/01 6:48:43 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: I met a History major and asked him...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the board! looks like you're going to fit in just fine.
    That was a good thing you did, it's too bad that we have to tell people what they should have learned in school. But with teachers who only pass down what they think and not the truth, can't expect much.

Again, Welcome!~
    Ron

the real fredneck
    (7/3/01 7:00:21 am)
    Welcome Mike
    I applaud your argument, aren't "rights" always held by citizens and "reserved powers" held by states? After all govenment (federal or state) has no rights only powers.

M Opaliski
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/3/01 7:01:05 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I met a History major and asked him...
    Welcome to the board Mike, thanks for causing someone to think their rights ... it may just plant a seed, and then who knows. It's amazing how people can read into some of their rights in one way, then the exact opposite with others.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support your RKBA ... Buy a Firearm!
    NRA Life Member
    Talk Radio Junkie
    opaliski@hotmail.com
    TheFirearmsEnthusiast

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/3/01 7:25:29 am)
    MM1111 WELCOME, good to see you raised an eyebrow. LTS

Xracer
    (7/3/01 7:31:56 am)
    Welcome Mike! Nicely done.

Be sure to visit our Military/History board and watch the fur fly!

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/3/01 7:42:21 am)
    MM, welcome to the board.

TallTLynn
    (7/3/01 7:57:59 am)
    Welcome to the boards MediaMike - and it looks like you might of just struck the right note with your wait person. Maybe he will go back and ask questions instead of taking everything he hears from his college professors as verbatim.

jason pa
    (7/3/01 8:09:16 am)
    Wow man i am young and ill tell you that is the crap they teach noW
    Welcome mike and thanks for making that one person think a little!
    J

Flhunter
    (7/3/01 10:49:45 am)
    Great job !!! and welcome to the board.
    Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

polishshooter
    (7/3/01 10:55:23 am)
    But please don't make the mistake of thinking ALL History Majors think that way... He's young, he'll get over it. Hopefully be the time he becomes an Historian.

Welcome, and nice name!

And definitely come to the MilHis Forum!

Mike

bondai
    (7/3/01 11:46:23 am)
    If you are referring to Arizona State University, his answer doesn't surprise me. It is a well known Liberal training ground. I got kicked out of a political science class there myself once.

Anyway welcome aboard.

BlackGun
    (7/3/01 11:55:57 am)
    Welcome to the board Mike. Glad to have you with us.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

44rugerfan
    (7/3/01 2:14:40 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Hi Mike.
    Hunt. Kill. Repeat.

Alphamale
    (7/3/01 2:55:21 pm)
    Welcome aboard Mike
    "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyranize their teachers."--Socrates (470-399 B.C.)

Tac401
    Administrator
    (7/3/01 4:15:10 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Welcome Aboard MediaMike1111!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.