The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can give me any detailed information about a US Springfield Armory Model 1898 rifle, possibly a carbine whose overall length is 42 inches and whose model number seems to be 304931.
Thanks in advance since I have never been let down by all your combined knowledge and expertice.
Sincerely,
Eric G.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Eric - you will need to post clear pictures of your rifle in order to receive any definate answers to your questions. Not because we are 'nosey', it is because nobody can say "Serial Number 1234567 was a Carbine, and Serial Number 1234568 was a Rifle".

This is even more true with the Krag rifles and Carbines. Thousands of RIFLES became CARBINES after they were surplused out of Government stock. These were done in shops and basements and barns all over the country, because the Krag rifles were too long for most folks to drag out into the woods for deer hunting, but the shorter carbines were handy for just that.

If you can, post clear pictures of the receiver group from 3 sides, a clear picture of the entire rifle, a picture of the top of the rear sight, and a picture of the front of the stock (from the front). This picture will show whether or not the stock has been cut down.

·
Premium Member
13,250 Posts
and whose model number seems to be 304931.
Hi Eric:

I'm not a Krag expert or anything, but did a bit of looking on various sites. One, Culver's Shooter's Page, has a series of back and forth posts referring to '98 Krag Carbine serial number ranges. Couple of different ranges have been quoted; approx. 117,000 to approx. 132,000, and 123,161 to 130,965. Also stated was a production total of approximately 5000 '98 Carbines. If memory serves me, the true carbines had a small C stamped on the side of the rear sight base. Hope that's of some assistance.

Best,

Mac

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I think all the carbines had saddle rings on the left hand side too. I have one here that is a true carbine, and it has the saddle ring... This is the first thing I would consider, as the rifles didn't have them, so a cut down rifle wouldn't either.

Regards, Kirk

·
Registered
286 Posts
There were a number of Krag's that were shortened for the Philipine Scouts and I believe they were set up to look like a short rifle with provision for a bayonette

1 - 5 of 5 Posts