The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of rifles and quite a few pistols. I am always having something done, I bring my firearms to a local Smith that is less than perfect. He is a great guy and his intentions are good, but he just ain't that good. Some would describe him as a Parts Changer not a Gunsmith. Anyhow he is the only game in town.

Back in Dec I purchased a RI 1911 in 10MM. The barrel would foul with excessive copper after a single Mag. I brought it to this guy to replace the Amby safety with a single safety and slug the bore while he was at it.

He slugged the bore with cerrosafe. He called me to tell me that my bore was .4035 instead of the normal .400. I immediately called Armscore and asked them for a new barrel. They agreed and I am still waiting.

Now, I find out that Cerrosafe continues to grow and any casting done must be measure exactly 60 minutes after the original pour. I informed him of this and he was shocked and actually did not believe me until I showed him the instructions. So, my bore is not .4035!

Anyhow, my point is he really doesn't know what he is doing.

Now to fitting the New safety.
Long story short he is having a difficult time fitting the safety. He has ruined the one I supplied along with three others that he has purchased. He called me yesterday and told me he finally got it fitted and I could pick it up.

Works great, nice and smooth, travels completely up and down. One slight problem though, about every so often when you move the safety to the fire position the hammer drops. Now he is really confused.

I'm thinking I need to get this away from him and sent off to a qualified Smith that can fit a 1911 safety.

Any Gunsmiths here have time to fit the safety on a 1911?

Thanks
Sorry for the long post, I'm a little upset at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
31,940 Posts
Can't help you with the safety issue but have you tried slugging the barrel yourself using a soft fishing weight?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I have a lot of rifles and quite a few pistols. I am always having something done, I bring my firearms to a local Smith that is less than perfect. He is a great guy and his intentions are good, but he just ain't that good. Some would describe him as a Parts Changer not a Gunsmith. Anyhow he is the only game in town.

Back in Dec I purchased a RI 1911 in 10MM. The barrel would foul with excessive copper after a single Mag. I brought it to this guy to replace the Amby safety with a single safety and slug the bore while he was at it.

He slugged the bore with cerrosafe. He called me to tell me that my bore was .4035 instead of the normal .400. I immediately called Armscore and asked them for a new barrel. They agreed and I am still waiting.

Now, I find out that Cerrosafe continues to grow and any casting done must be measure exactly 60 minutes after the original pour. I informed him of this and he was shocked and actually did not believe me until I showed him the instructions. So, my bore is not .4035!

Anyhow, my point is he really doesn't know what he is doing.

Now to fitting the New safety.
Long story short he is having a difficult time fitting the safety. He has ruined the one I supplied along with three others that he has purchased. He called me yesterday and told me he finally got it fitted and I could pick it up.

Works great, nice and smooth, travels completely up and down. One slight problem though, about every so often when you move the safety to the fire position the hammer drops. Now he is really confused.

I'm thinking I need to get this away from him and sent off to a qualified Smith that can fit a 1911 safety.

Any Gunsmiths here have time to fit the safety on a 1911?

Thanks
Sorry for the long post, I'm a little upset at the moment.
Get in touch with JLA. You can send him a PM or an email. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/member.php?u=6960

·
Super Moderator
31,940 Posts
How does that work with shipping a firearm out of state to be repaired?

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
If JLA has an FFL license you just mail it to him UPS or USPS with insured tracking number. If he doesn't have an FFL license that is more problematical. We do have a local gunsmith here in Idaho who is quite good. He's also an FFL. He builds a lot of custom AR's as his main gunsmithing income. I can talk to him about the problem if you'd like. I have to take his office computer back to him this week anyway since I will have it repaired this evening.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are but a few legal ways to ship a handgun.
If going through USPS then the package has to be sent from and FFL to an FFL.

If going Fed Ex or UPS the package has to be shipped Next Day Air or Second day Air, big $$$.

I'll just have the Smith that messed this thing up ship it USPS.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
There are but a few legal ways to ship a handgun.
If going through USPS then the package has to be sent from and FFL to an FFL.

If going Fed Ex or UPS the package has to be shipped Next Day Air or Second day Air, big $$$.

I'll just have the Smith that messed this thing up ship it USPS.
I have never ran into the problems you seem to be having. If UPS, or FEDX have the FFL number you are shipping to, there is no problems. Maybe your state has different rules.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
You can send it UPS ground to Josh. No problem. Not big bucks either. I have had our local FFL receive shipments for transfer to me from private individuals.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry didn't mean to imply that I am having shipping problems, I am not. I just send the legal way.

UPS requires Next Day Air, big $$.
From UPS web site.
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
Link.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Shipment by Unlicensed Persons
Any shipper who does not have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be an 'unlicensed person'. This section contains information on how unlicensed persons can ship firearms. If you have an FFL, please skip to the next section for shipping suggestions.

The most important thing to know is that you must only ship guns to a licensed dealer. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, he will have to make arrangements to ship the item to a dealer in his state.

Before you ship a gun, the buyer must fax or mail you a copy of the dealer's signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license. You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm. Of course, the firearm cannot be shipped loaded; ammunition may not be shipped in the same box. You should take the copy of the signed FFL with you when you take the item to be shipped in case the shipper wishes to see it.

Notes on specific shippers:

US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

edEx Express: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. AmmunFition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.

FedEx Ground: FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

Shipment by Licensed Persons
Any shipper who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be a 'licensed person'. This section contains information on how licensed persons can ship firearms. If you do not have an FFL, please see the previous section of this page for shipping instructions.

Since licensed persons are responsible for knowing the law, we are going to assume that you already understand the CGA and know the applicable Federal, state, and local laws.

Notes on specific shippers:

US Mail: Licensed persons can ship a rifle, shotguns, or handguns by US Mail. In fact, we suggest that you use the USPS as it is now the most cost-effective way to ship a handgun. To ship a rifle or shotgun, you need only inform the Post Office that the package contains a firearm. A licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer can ship a handgun via the US Post Office if the licensed dealer fills out a US Post Office Form PS 1508 and files it with the local Post Office branch where the handgun is to be shipped. You can search the US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

FedEx Express: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition.

Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

Link
http://www.*********.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1118

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Shoulden't cost but $40 - $50, with insurance, to ship a hand gun. I know that this a little pricy. The last one I shipped was to S&W, and it cost me around $30, with insurance, but that was a few years ago.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I haven't had to pay more than $35 for shipping to get even my shotgun here. Keep in mind you'll be paying the shipping in both directions. For a handgun, probably about $25 each direction if sent UPS ground. Aren't there any good gunsmiths within 40-50 miles from you?

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't had to pay more than $35 for shipping to get even my shotgun here. Keep in mind you'll be paying the shipping in both directions. For a handgun, probably about $25 each direction if sent UPS ground. Aren't there any good gunsmiths within 40-50 miles from you?
UPS requires Next Day Air, cannot ship handgun UPS Ground , see above links.

No there really is no qualified Smith in my area.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
I am glad I am an FFL and dont have to worry about shipping or receiving guns...I ship handguns UPS ground all the time..

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that didn't go so well did it. :)

14 posts and 11 of them about shipping and only one about my Gunsmith questions. Thanks Carver, I'll get in tough with Josh and see if he has time. Last I heard he was swamped.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
Sorry Steve, I figured Josh or Helix would have jumped in by now.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
You can ship it second day air if you like. I just has to go by some sort of air. FedEx 2nd day is what I use. Its much cheaper and you must ship to the premise address on the FFL provided. i can fit a safety and so could jla along with others. Takes about 15-20 minutes to do one.
Cerrosafe is for chamber castings, not slugging the barrel. here's why, cerrosafe hardens in the barrel, if he has it as far as the lands and groves then it has to be pounded out. Pounding it causes it to distort and gives you a inaccurate measurement. Sorry I didnt respond earlier. JLA is busy building his new shop Im sure. Sunday is my only day off and i was out with the kids. With all the freaking out that people have been doing, were all pretty swamped but I could crank out a safety fitting right quick while something is cooling, drying or heating up.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Steve - send a PM to JLA - he'll sort it all out for you I'm sure.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Helix is right on. Fitting a 1911 thumb safety is a 20 minute deal. Your smith is ruining them because hes probably trying to use power tools to do it. Its n ot a power tool job. All it takes is a half round neel]dle file and a bit of patience, and experience, as well as an understanding of how it works.

Shipping an handgun is perfectly legal thru USPS, they prefer FFL to FFL, and a sufficient amount of insurance. They don't like it when you use flat rate, but Ive done it.

As George said hes shipped me several of his handguns to be worked on and has used USPS each time. As long as your identification is inside the box along with a copy of the receiving FFL all is legal.

Some carriers/shippers require Fed-Ex 2 day for handguns, but it isn't a legal issue. Just a preference.

I am not swamped under with gun repair. I am moving along steady with about a 2 week turn around time. And I am in the process of building my new shop. BTW, helix, check your phone.. sent you a vid.. Almost done.

Id be more than happy to fit your safety, as Im sure so would Helix. Might get with him first as hes a bit closer to you than I am and ship times thru the mail would be a little less in the least. And if your gunsmith wants to learn to fit a 1911 safety ill gladly teach him. All hes gotta do is book a flight to TX. Ill even feed him BBQ.

G

·
Cerrosafe does this. You melt it pour it in to the barrel chamber of a gun. Allow to cool for 10 or 15 minutes and it shrinks to allow easier release. Then you let it sit for 60 minutes then measure it. After 1 hour the cerrosafe has stabilized and you can measure it years from now and it will be the same.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.