The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! i don't know much about black powder revolvers. i have a friend, who recently acquired this black powder revolver. I don't know much about it as I've only seen it once. But i wanted to get my friend the correct equipment to fire this puppy, for Christmas. i just wanted to make sure this revolver was safe and made to shoot before i buy the stuff.
From what i gathered, it may be a Remington? i have found an image of, from what i can tell, the exact gun. With the same box and key and everything. I have included the image i found online. And ill include a link to a little bit of info ive found about it here: Fredric Remington Commemorative (blackpowdersmoke.com)

If its safe to shoot, my second question is, what type of percussion caps would work for it? Would Remington or CCI #10's fit properly? Thanks for all the help!
remington.jpeg

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
It's safe to shoot but the brass frame won't hold up under normal loads. It will be ok for 20 grains and under. The gold filigree wont last long if you shoot it much. #10 caps, pure lead .454 balls and you will need some kind of vegetable based lube for the balls. You can use Crisco over the balls but that's messy. Or you can use lubed wads or lube pills under the balls.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
As Hawg said - it's shootable but not what you'd consider a working gun. Those brass frames just won't stand up to normal use. You need to reduce the charges if you are going to shoot it at all. This revolver is meant mostly for display or decoration.

It IS a copy of the 1858 Remington. I've seen many copies of the old Remington and Coltcap and ball revolvers made with brass frames. I don't understand why people made them with those frames. Maybe they think it makes them LOOK old? During the American Civil War, some Confederate gun makers did produce brass framed revolvers - but it was due to the shortage of steel - not because that was what they wanted to use. Many old brass church bells became revolvers... In the North they had plenty of steel.

It is nice of you to consider buying shooting equipment for your friend's revolver as a Christmas present All I can add to Hawg's suggestion is maybe (if you can find any these days) is some 3FG powder. Good luck doing that. Since the China Crud catastrophe and the fraud election anything firearm related is evaporating almost as quickly as our Liberty.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,097 Posts
It is nice of you to consider buying shooting equipment for your friend's revolver as a Christmas present
I agree. It is very generous for you to get your friend set up for a Christmas present.
When I was getting started I made up a shopping list.
It included:
Nipple wrench--to remove the nipples on the cylinder for cleaning.
A cleaning kit
Powder flask with the right sized spout--20 grains from what Hawg and Jim said.
Balls, Mine is comfortable with .451; but I have also used .454.
Pre lubricated wads to go over the powder and under the ball.
Powder
Caps

When you get ready to shoot, come back and we can answer any questions you have. Guys here know their stuff and have helped me out plenty in the past with some great tips and tricks. They have been real confidence builders.

Reactions: Hawg and alexm97

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's safe to shoot but the brass frame won't hold up under normal loads. It will be ok for 20 grains and under. The gold filigree wont last long if you shoot it much. #10 caps, pure lead .454 balls and you will need some kind of vegetable based lube for the balls. You can use Crisco over the balls but that's messy. Or you can use lubed wads or lube pills under the balls.
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
If you are completely new to it - there is a product you can ask for at a gun store or shooting shop: it's called "Ox Yoke .44 calibers wads". They come in a pack of about 50, and are great wads for seating between the powder charge and the ball. I think they are lightly lubricated, but the big thing is that they completely seal off the powder charge and prevent what is called 'chain-fire'. That is where the flash from a fired chamber accidentally ignites the next chamber. That is why people used to seal the mouths of the loaded chambers with grease - but those Ox Yoke wads are much cleaner and simpler to use. Not pricey at all, either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies. I’ve gotten everything I need. All I need now are some #10 percussion caps. I can’t seem to find any in stock. Does anybody know of any online? I’ve searched and searched. Thanks!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've been shooting the brass framed open top revolver since 1973. BUT... it is a small .31 so not much recoil.. I used mostly full capacity loads. It's fun. I have a ball mold now but used a bunch of single 0 buckshot ball also. All told it probably has 3k rounds through it.. It is the one in my avatar.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
You might be able to get by with #11 caps if you pinch them a little to make them stay on the nipple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts