I need reloading data for 5o BMG

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by David Wolfiert, Apr 13, 2009.

1. David Wolfiert

David Wolfiert New Member

Greetings all,
    I need reloading data for the 50 BMG. Bullet is APIT 606 grains. Powder is H50BMG. I have not found any data on that light of a bullet. I am an experienced reloader for the last 30 years and understand reloading. I am concerned concerning this BIG round and starting at the correct point.
    THank you,
    David Wolfiert

2. muddober

muddober Active Member

David, while I am not familiar with that powder or that light of bullet I load 240 grains of WC872 behind a 750 grain bullet. My point being if you go to a burn rate chart and look up the two powders you might get close. I started loading for the 50 long before there was any info out there and I found the caliber to be somewhat forgiving when loading WC 860 and WC 872. If I had to make a guess you would be fine with a starting load of 235 grains of your powder and your lighter bullet working up from there. (I just checked and your powder is slower) If you find what the skinny really is please let me know.

Ron

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

After looking at the Hodgdon site they say for a 655 gr. ADI fmj you max. at 248 grains of H50BMG. That may not help much, but should get you started. Let us know what you come up with.

4. oldreliable45120

oldreliable45120 New Member

I'm loading 225 grains of h50bmg with 650 ball heads. Its a good load in my Barrett and my Anzio. hope this helps.

5. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Sorry to butt into to your thread here but after reading some of these I am simply amazed at the amount of powder used for one .50 BMG. I mean my God you could load over 100 rounds of 9 mm with that much powder! Wow!:eek:

6. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

Here is the data I have in my Lee Manual
    This isnt exactly the data for the bullet you have, but my book mentions to use data for the next heaviest bullet. The velocity will be about the same and the pressure will be less. I looked at hodgdons sit to see if there was more data but it seems to be just about the same.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  7. 50BMGshooter

50BMGshooter New Member

I started reloading for the 50 about a year ago. I cannot afford the $3 plus cost of match bullets so I use the 690 grain ball south african bullets or 700 grain G.I. bullets which are much cheaper.
    The best deal in powder was surplus IMR5010 from Wideners. Checking other similar powders I tested three rounds with 220 grains of powder. All three flattened the primer slightly. WRONG!-DANGER!
    I dropped the charge to 205 grains and now all shoot and have no pressure signs.
    Have fun and be like me- get 33 rounds per pound of powder! Groan!
    I have pulled the handle of a Rock Chucker 15 years. Powder for that thing lasts a long time in comparison!

8. Ranb

Ranb Former Guest