The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I am in the process of restoring a Hopkins & Allen XL Bulldog .32 rimfire. I have been quite baffled by what I've discovered. First of all, the hammer screw hole in the frame is larger than the screw hole in the hammer, and it looks to be the original size. The trigger fits perfectly but the hand spring and plunger are not mounted on the trigger, and is actuated by the mainspring. However, the mainspring required for this revolver is unlike any I've ever encountered. The first picture shows the mainspring that I usually encounter that mounts on the inside of the backstrap with a pin. The configuration of the one for this revolver apparently is installed in the slot at the bottom of the grip strap (there is a strain screw hole there). Then it reaches the indent in the hammer, and somewhere along the line a projection reaches over to actuate the hand.
Does anyone have one of these revolvers that might have a clue as to what is the proper configuration?
Thank you!
Old Gun Guy :confused::confused::confused:
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Don't know if it will help, but here's a partial parts list from a 1915 gunsmith catalog.

The mainspring is obviously the common style found in most old solid frame pocket revolvers.

If the hammer screw hole is only oversize on one side, the screw head just fits flush without the usual recess, but if both sides are oversize someone must have drilled them out.

The hand or 'lever' must attach to the pin on left side of trigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hrf,
Thanks for the schematic. My Bulldog revolver has a trigger guard that mounts using two screws through the bottom. I may have to drill out the screw hole in the hammer to match the hole in the frame. I have used the type of lever shown in the schematic. However the trigger I have won't accept that kind of hand because it has no metal behind the pin to bear on the lever spring.
I guess I'll have to do some mods on this turkey to get it working. Thanks again for your input.
Old Gun Guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts