The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I should know this by now, but....

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LIKTOSHOOT 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a homemade AR in .223...Preban Olympic reciever, collapsable stock, with a flash suppressor and I'm wondering if this dude is even legal...I was thinking it could only have one "evil" either the threaded barrell or the stock, but not both untill further precedings in 2004 right?
Additionally, it has a small (what looks like a bayo lug) under the barrell, my Bushy dosen't have such a "lug" so I dont know what it is, maybe just a place for a tac flashlight?

Also, the asking price on this 'ol girl is 800 US Dollars, comes with a couple Hicap's, ammo, and a cheap looking scope with a star on the top of it ...

Thoughts, Comments?

Thanks guys.

~Crpdeth

#5 ·
The point of law says the "rifle", not the lower alone, had to be built before the cutoff. Get a picture of it with a date on the photo, or a statement from the seller, who, hopefully, is a judge or a preacher.
ATF says a reciever is the "gun", then crawfishes frequently where assault rifle is the subject-- be REAL careful!
Terry

#6 ·
Sorry guys, I was off on vacation for a few days there...

LTS, I dont have alot of facts unfortunatly...The guy who has the rifle, wasn't the original builder, I dont have evidence of when the piece was complete, nor do I have the education to discern whether the reciever is truly even pre-ban or not.
By "homemade"... I was meaning that the firearm was not factory built.

Thank you LTS, and the rest of yaz as well...I think I'm probabally gonna pass on this weapon, but I sure wouldn't mind a little education in this area, concerning, what to look for in identifying pre-ban recievers, if anyone had some pointers to give.

~Crp

#7 ·
Crp, the serial number is the best way.....but not always the right way. Some manufactures sold lowers (incomplete rifles) and dealers sold them retail. If a lower was logged into a dealers A&D book and was there after the ban---then sold, it cannot be considered a preban-ever! If it was sold prior to the ban, then who can prove it was never built into a complete rifle prior to the ban.......my guess is no one. Colts and Bushmasters are the easiest to trace back, followed by Armalite and several others. Some can be recognized by color, as some early companies had gray receivers. Just takes a little time to track them down, but not hard to do. Also remember.....there were two (2) bans, first in 1989 for imports.....then the second for domestic`s. I would probably take a hard look at the one you are looking at, and check the serial number via the internet......could be a great buy if correct and preban.

LTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.