The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I slugged my barrel and it measured out at .355. What size bullets can I safely shoot? .356? .357? Reason I'm asking is I have some .357 jacketed bullets. Will they be ok?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And let me say it wasn't easy. I bought a dowl rod that was too big, it look as if it would fit. So then I stole one of my ol lady's plastic hangers. That fit good. And finally I got it sized out. Thanks all for the help on that.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Lead bullets use the .356, and .357 will work.

Jacketed use .355 or .356.

The .357 Jacketed are for 38 Special and 357 Mag. IMO to large for the 9MM.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that's all I need to hear. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
for all lead bullets (no jackets or plated) 0.001 or 0.002 over the slugged size... start with the 0.001, if you get leading with that then try the 0.002...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
And let me say it wasn't easy. I bought a dowl rod that was too big, it look as if it would fit. So then I stole one of my ol lady's plastic hangers. That fit good. And finally I got it sized out. Thanks all for the help on that.
LOL, the first time i slugged a barrel i forgot to oil it and that slug almost never came out the other end!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I oiled it but then I was using a small hammer with no weight to hit it. I ended up getting a pretty big hammer and then it started to move. Finally it came out, it had nice groves in it. I have another gun to do still.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
One time I was firelapping a CZ 9mm pistol with a .357 fierlapping kit. 158 gr SP bullets in a 9mm case with 1.0 gr IMR Trailboss. I went to fire and got a pop but no bullet exited. I immediately used a 4 letter explicative out loud and look at the muzzle, and much to my amazement and disbelief, I saw the bullet hanging out the bore by about 1/16th of an inch of the base.. LUCKY!!

So I bumped the charge to 1.5 gr and finished the kit without problems.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
so when you measure the slug, you mic the largest diameter?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
^^^ yes

some people wrap a thin piece of aluminum around the bullet and pull it tight with pliars, measure, then subtract out twice the thickness of the aluminum warp to get the largest diameter, keeps the mic jaws from digging into the slug...

i just mic around the slug and note the largest diameter and try to be careful about it

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Great going, AR Guy! Sound advice - .355 jacketed bullets and start with .356 for the cast lead bullets, maybe even go to .357 diameter, but that's about tops for a .355 bore. Besides, after that you start overcrowding the cartridge case mouth/pistol's chamber and fooling with increased chamber pressures. Not a good thing.

Not to hijack this thread, but JLA mentioned 'firelapping'. I've got two OLD German military 9mms and both have bores a LITTLE frosty. Both saw lots of corrosive ammo and dirty shooting conditions. Can't use lead bullets with them because the roughness catches bunches of lead. I'm thinking about firelapping them (I did that with an old WW1 .303 Enfield and it helped by at least 75%!), wondering if anyone can point me at a source for the 9mm firelap bullets. Thanks - Jim

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I measured the biggest part of the lead slug. At least it miked the biggest.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Great going, AR Guy! Sound advice - .355 jacketed bullets and start with .356 for the cast lead bullets, maybe even go to .357 diameter, but that's about tops for a .355 bore. Besides, after that you start overcrowding the cartridge case mouth/pistol's chamber and fooling with increased chamber pressures. Not a good thing.

Not to hijack this thread, but JLA mentioned 'firelapping'. I've got two OLD German military 9mms and both have bores a LITTLE frosty. Both saw lots of corrosive ammo and dirty shooting conditions. Can't use lead bullets with them because the roughness catches bunches of lead. I'm thinking about firelapping them (I did that with an old WW1 .303 Enfield and it helped by at least 75%!), wondering if anyone can point me at a source for the 9mm firelap bullets. Thanks - Jim
Best way is to use cast lead bullets, unlubed. and put 600 or 800 grit lapping compound in the grease groove just prior to seating. Use a light charge of powder and clean thoroughly after each shot. Using the lapping compound gets very messy.

You could also use a Tubbs Final Finish bore conditioning system, but the bullets are .357 in diameter and intended for the .38 and .357 revolver ctg. They will work in a 9mm though. You just have to be very careful with powder charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts