The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into 1911s because of @gdmoody and his enabling. By the way, I appreciate it George! :) I really didn't know much about their internals prior to my first 1911. Now, I've gotten comfortable enough to do sear and hammer polishing, stoning and replacements, safety fitting, mainspring replacements and leaf spring tuning a bit. Being that I often enjoy working on and tweaking guns more than shooting them, this is fun! Sorry, I'm a nerd...

Springfield Loaded .45... Yeah, I know the mainspring pin is still not flush. I had just gotten finished checking the trigger after adjusting the sear spring leg.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

Rock Island 9mm...
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Bumper

GSG 1911 in .22...
All I did on this one is polish the sear, hammer and tweak a bit on the leaf spring.
Air gun Trigger Yellow Line Gun barrel

I have a Taylors and Company (RIA Import) 10mm 1911 coming by week's end. I already have an Ed Brown kit I'm going to polish a bit and install when the gun gets picked up. I've also got some Pachmayr laminate grips I pre-fitted (mag well pocket machining and safety fitting) on my 9mm that should work great on the 10mm. I'll post pictures of that one when I get it finished! Too much fun!... :)

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work. I do like a light trigger pull. Question - can the reset also be shortened on a 1911?
Thanks! :)

You know, I've not given reset adjustment any thought. I try to reduce the overtravel to almost zero so I don't notice reset. Actually, reset on any gun has bitten me more than once when adjusting pre-travel on triggers. I usually don't think about it until I have to. :unsure: :whistle:

· Registered
3,737 Posts
I always thought that the big thing with 1911s was the fitting of the slide to both the frame and to the barrel, along with a good air gauged barrel. Of course they are known for great triggers also when done properly. One of these days I could improve on mine along with adjusting the trigger bow to remove any play and slop.

· Registered
Token Trigger Snob
7,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always thought that the big thing with 1911s was the fitting of the slide to both the frame and to the barrel, along with a good air gauged barrel. Of course they are known for great triggers also when done properly. One of these days I could improve on mine along with adjusting the trigger bow to remove any play and slop.
I'm definitely not at that level yet. I'm working with store bought 1911s and I haven't tried building my own yet. It may require a level of patience that I don't have. A long time friend of mine builds them. I've been meaning to pick his brain, but I may regret stepping over into that rabbit hole.

I like tinkering with triggers on almost all my guns. The only ones I haven't thought about tinkering with the pull on are my Sigs. They're just good from the factory. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts