The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started reloading what components I had on hand. I then started looking for places to store the newly reloaded ammo.

I organized my ammo cabinet to remove any empty cases. I removed a lot that should be in another storage location. I thought I could just store it in ammo cans. I started opening ammo cans and low and behold, most of the cans had loaded ammo. 22. 38, 10mm, 45, 7.62x39 and 223. Anywhere from 300 to a thousand rounds of each caliber.

Yall have been talking about not being able to remember crap. Well, here is another example.

·
Registered
467 Posts
While lamenting the ENTROPY wrough from our (most) recent move, I inadvertently knocked over a stack of things that SWiMBO (She Who immediately Must Be Obeyed) bade me find. Imagine my unbridled glee at finding, beneath them, my misplaced RCBS Rockchucker and @ 8500 Winchester LRPs! I think Christmas is already here, for me (if one overlooks the fact that I should have known where these items were, all along). This may help "stem the tide" of pistol primer consumption, since some of the LRPs can be cautiously put into service with the 25 - 30 k.p.s.i. loads I will work up in .45 Colt. NOW, to locate that pound of IMR-4227 that's lurking in the powder case, somewhere...

TUCKERD1 & GDMoody, you are members of an august, but not-so-exclusive club, these days. I look forward to seeing you at the meetings! ...if I can remember to attend!

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I left that at your house for safekeeping. You just forgot. And you don't remember knowing me.
Also, what about that fifty bucks you owe me?
Ill catch up with you as soon as I remember who you are! May take a while though.

Last week it was 1000 SPP I didn't remember having. That were mixed in with LPP.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
Brother...all I ever discover is the spring that flew out of an SU carb 3 years ago and has been ordered, received and installed..... 😢

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
Hey Vic, If I ever decide to vacuum underneath the china cabinet one day, I know I will have enough springs to build several models of guns.

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I could find some that I forgot I had.:unsure:

Don,
It sounds like you have enough to come shoot a match One Wednesday night. It would be great to have you join 8n on the fun!
John. I've thought about checking it out. I probably have too much other stuff going on to start something new.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,729 Posts
Yall have been talking about not being able to remember crap. Well, here is another example.
I understand squirrels do that with nuts...bury them or hide them away and forget where they have put them.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
While lamenting the ENTROPY wrough from our (most) recent move, I inadvertently knocked over a stack of things that SWiMBO (She Who immediately Must Be Obeyed) bade me find. Imagine my unbridled glee at finding, beneath them, my misplaced RCBS Rockchucker and @ 8500 Winchester LRPs! I think Christmas is already here, for me (if one overlooks the fact that I should have known where these items were, all along). This may help "stem the tide" of pistol primer consumption, since some of the LRPs can be cautiously put into service with the 25 - 30 k.p.s.i. loads I will work up in .45 Colt. NOW, to locate that pound of IMR-4227 that's lurking in the powder case, somewhere...

TUCKERD1 & GDMoody, you are members of an august, but not-so-exclusive club, these days. I look forward to seeing you at the meetings! ...if I can remember to attend!
Not to take away from your joy, but it is not advisable to use LRP as a substitute for LPP. LRP are taller then LPP. The LRP in a LPP in handgun cartridge would protrude/extend out of the cartridge case head. That would be a high primer situation that could possibly cause an unintended ignition of adjacent cartridges during recoil such as in a revolver. Also the high or proud primers would in all likelihood bind the cylinder not allowing to rotate if at all.

SPR can be used as a substitute for SPP for thay are both the same hight, but the gunpowder charge would have to reduced because the SRP will have a higher pressure and more brisance.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
This afternoon, I went out to my reloading building to look for something, while I was there I decided to inventory my primers, just to know where I stand on them. I think I have enough to hold me a day or two.

5500 Large Pistol
6300 Small Pistol
7300 Small Rifle with 3K being Magnum
2800 Large Rifle with 1800 being Magnum

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to take away from your joy, but it is not advisable to use LRP as a substitute for LPP. LRP are taller then LPP. The LRP in a LPP in handgun cartridge would protrude/extend out of the cartridge case head. That would be a high primer situation that could possibly cause an unintended ignition of adjacent cartridges during recoil such as in a revolver. Also the high or proud primers would in all likelihood bind the cylinder not allowing to rotate if at all. View attachment 239269

SPR can be used as a substitute for SPP for thay are both the same hight, but the gunpowder charge would have to reduced because the SRP will have a higher pressure and more brisance.
Thanks for the post, informative.. Saved the image
For those who are interested in using Small primers in a large Pistol or Large Rifle cartridge, I remember buying years ago (can't remember where) inserts that you pressed into the pocket
of the 'Large Primer' case' which then would accept the small primers.
This technique was / might still be popular with the BPCR Silhouette shooting crowd....
Apparently the lower brilliance primer was a better way to ignite black P O W D E R....

I also suffer from CRS... I believe it provided a slower more even ignition propagation.
Another technique to accomplish the same goal was to take a single piece of newspaper (what's a news paper, right?) cut from a hole punch or case, and place same at the bottom of the case.

·
Administrator
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Is a 45 Colt in my future? I have been inventorying ammo and components today, and found 250 pieces of new 45 Colt brass and 1000 255gr hard cast 45 Long Colt bullets. I do have a set of 45 Colt dies. These were bought probably 25 years ago to load for a friend. But, he sold the pistol before we could reload any.

Anyway, it is in my stash now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts