I want Hemingway shoot rifle.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

remingtongeo
    (10/29/01 7:35:57 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All I want Hemingway shoot rifle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on the boards. I've been working 70+ and buying Remingtons over the net.

I don't own a rifle (375 or larger) that I can use in a Hemingway match. This type of match sounds like a whole lot of fun. I have been kicking around a 45-70, 416 Rem., 458 Win., and a bunch of others.

My problem is that I have a hard time spending bunch of money on a rifle I won't shoot to many times in a year.

I've thought about the Marlins and Winchesters and don't really want a lever rifle. I am a bolt action kind of guy. The CZ comes in large cals., but I have never even seen one.

Any suggestions under $700.00?

Remingtongeo

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/29/01 9:37:59 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: I want Hemingway shoot rifle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There are a few new rifles that fall in that budget.

You already know about the CZ550, it is available in both .375HH and .458WM at around $659 (shipped). They are quality rifles, good wood and nice metal finish. One of the best rifle buys on the market right now.

Savage 116SE in .375HH, $699.

Weatherby Mk V Synthetic .375HH, $699.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/29/01 10:07:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I want Hemingway shoot rifle.
    I hope it`s a one shot match, it`s suicide if not.............
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

the real fredneck
    (10/29/01 6:29:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: I want Hemingway shoot rifle.
    there's really nothing wrong with a Marlin 45/70 and a lot less expensive to shoot that those other calibers

remingtongeo
    (11/1/01 9:57:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks
    Thank you for the imput. I didn't know Savage made the 116SE and I was sure a Weatherby was out of my price range.

The Marlin is the cheapest way to go, but I keep sticking my finger in places it shouldn't go on a level gun. That's why my only lever action rilfe is the BL22.

warpig883
    (11/1/01 10:17:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks
    I will vouch for the accuracy of the Savage 116. Great gun.
    I am not happy unless I am miserable

polishshooter
    (11/2/01 8:00:16 pm)
    Hey Neighbor!

Yeah, I have the same problem with pump guns, and SKSs, and no matter WHAT you may have heard in old stories, it IS the fingers...

What exactly is a Hemingway Shoot, and does it involve cameras and either Mariel or Margeaux?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Xracer
    (11/3/01 10:09:32 am)
    I think you set out from Cuba in a rowboat and shoot sharks or somethin'.

polishshooter
    (11/3/01 10:33:03 am)
    ...while trolling a Marlin on a rope as bait....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Xracer
    (11/3/01 5:42:22 pm)
    ......but it only works if you look like Spencer Tracy in a curly wig.

JohnRTal
    (12/23/01 12:27:38 pm)
    I agree with the AntiqueDr. IMHO, the CZ550 is the best buy on the market today!!!! If you like the VZ24's, your gonna love the 550's. Buy it in the .375 and you are gonna love both the cartridge and the recoil (a good shove, not a jaw shattering jab!). Merry Christmas and a Happy Shooting New Year!!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/23/01 12:34:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Thanks
    Welcome Aboard JohnRTal!

Hope to see you round here often!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TallTLynn
    (12/23/01 12:39:18 pm)
    Welcome JohnRTal to our boards. Look forward to hearing more from you.
    I am WOMAN

TLynn

AntiqueDr
    (12/23/01 12:57:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Thanks
    Plus, he agrees with me!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdub01
    (12/23/01 1:10:25 pm)
    Howdy, JRT -

Sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us gun cranks - stick around and join in the jabber!

JohnRTal
    (12/23/01 1:54:56 pm)
    Tac401,TallTLynn,AntiqueDr,Kdub01-A very appreciative THANK YOU for your welcoming words. It is very nice to see a woman involved in the firearms/shooting arena. The Gallagher girls have shown us guys the way to shoot and we need more women enjoying what we guys like to do. I have been a shooter/reloader/gun builder for the past 40 plus years and the 'best is yet to be!'. For you knife makers and wood handle makers out there, I am going to have a special you may be interested in after the 1ST of the year. We had tornadic winds here in S Texas a few months back and I am going to be chain-sawing some downed mesquite trees. For $1 (yes,one dollar) plus shipping I will send you a freshly cut mesquite log(length to be determined later) at least 5" in diameter to your place of residence/business. Southern states residents where mesquite grows need not apply as you have all you need already. Makes great knife handles,pistol grips, fore-end tips or whatever. I will paint the cut ends so (hopefully) they will not check. If you are interested use the -e- address in my bio. Thanks again for the most hospitable welcome. Keep smokin' - John

TallTLynn
    (12/23/01 2:06:27 pm)
    JohnRTal - I admit I enjoy my weapons although outside of shooting them and cleaning them I would be clueless to a great degree.

For me this place has been great for learning. I look forward to seeing more of you here and I will be reading with great interest.
    I am WOMAN

TLynn

kdub01
    (12/23/01 5:49:09 pm)
    Now, that's right neighborly, JRT - !

We've got some mesquite out here in AZ along the creek bottoms that look like large liveoak down there in the Lone Star State! Those of you that don't have a handy supply, mesquite works for anything from smokin' armidillos to fine figured rifle stocks!