I want to start reloading for my 45 acp need help

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Raven1, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Raven1

Raven1 New Member

I want to start reloading for my 45 and I'm confused.
    I see some bullets are 451 while others say 452 which is better or is there is big difference?
    Does it mater what shape the nose is?
    When reloading lead bullets and they have the raised grease slots, does the casing go over the ridges or on the last one?
    Is there a web site that could help?

2. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

First, welcome to the Forum! You will love reloading! First thing is to get yourself a good reloading manual and read it. All the questions you ask, are answered in your reloading manual. Always do what is says to do. Never start with a maximum load. I have been reloading for 35 years, and reload for all my pistol calibers, including .45ACP.

3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

1) .451 is the size I use for .45 ACP.

2) With cast lead bullets, the lube groove goes inside the case. You must observe the correct overall length for each caliber you reload - don't exceed the maximum OAL (read the manual, set your dies once, and you're OK).

3) Bullet shape is important. Some .45 ACP autos won't feed a semiwadcutter shape bullet. Other autos won't feed the short 185 gr. bullets. When in doubt, go with the old standard: 230 gr. round nose bullet.

4. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

+ 1
    Read all you can then start reloading. Biggest tips are always stay within proven data and NO distractions!!!

5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Lead bullets are usually sized to .452 and jacketed to .451 so either is fine. Agree with previous posts on current reloading manual. If you read them and follow the guidance they will help you to stay safe. Double check yourself and listen to your little voice. If you wonder if somethings not right I'll guarantee that it isn't.

6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member

Welcome.

I started on the same quest a month or two ago. I had to go to four places to find the Press; primers; powder, Vibratory Cleaner and bullets.

I asked a lot of questions, posted in this forum and YouTube can be useful as well. The shooting club I joined has a large number of reloaders and they are always open to questions and making suggestions.

I started with a single stage press (Lee Classic Breach Lock) and muddled through the process. I do everything in phases. I have a plastic container of spent brass. I clean them in the vibrator when I reach a couple of hundred. After being cleaned, they go into another container "CLEANED - NOT DEPRIMED". When I have time, I deprime many of these which then go into yet another container "Cleaned Deprimed". When I have time on my hands, I'll prime a bunch and guess what, they go into a container "Cleaned and Primed". From there it is just a matter of loading the powder and seating the bullet. They then go to the range and the process starts all over.

I only do .45ACP so my process could get pretty "Containered up" if I were to do multiple calibers.

As someone stated earlier....no distractions as you don't want to double up the powder charge.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009