I will be SCARCE for a while -

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ampaterry, Apr 15, 2017.

1. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

I feel for ya. We'll still be here when you get back.

dbcooper and ampaterry like this.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

All the EMERGENCY part is done now - I only have the programs of convenience to deal with.

I BACKED UP the old system in Windows 10.

I ran the back ups into the new system - also windows 10, but obviously a later version -

Did not work.

So far, everyone has been great to help -
    I did upgrade my Quickverse Bible study software because I had version 9 and they are now up to version 11. $35 bucks. Then they unlocked the 350 books that I have bought over the years, and I downloaded and installed them. The new Quickverse is a LOT better -

Personal finance and church finance records are uploaded and safe - I had the good sense to backup those each month when I balanced the checkbooks. I had upgraded last year, no problem - they opened it up for download for me at no charge.

Cannot find my durn solitaire program, though. I had Spider, selectible for one, two or four suits - and an undo button. Got it free, but the ad bar was no problem -

I have saved the old PC - need to talk to someone about it. Is there ANY way to plug it in and then cable to it USB to access the hard drive? I have YEARS of pictures on it that I sure would like to salvage -

Broot likes this.

3. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Providing the drive isn't fried.. You can plug the old drive into the new PC's motherboard and PSU. Then you'll need to make sure default boot is set to the new drive. From there, you can open up the old drive in Win Explorer and copy any old images/videos etc to the new drive. Do not copy programs from the old drive; they'll need to be installed properly.. Copying almost always misses a few files necessary for the program to operate correctly.

ampaterry, BlackEagle and dbcooper like this.
  4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning...did that moment of distain end with "OH SHUCKS"? Chief

ampaterry and Broot like this.
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you want to take your hard drive out of the old computer and plug it into the new one--provided your old hard drive still functions, you get one of these and plug it into a USB slot and copy data (pictures, documents, and so on) to your new computer.

I have one of these...it covers both IDE and SATA hard drives. It plugs into my USB port and I can access/transfer files to my computer as I want. Once you have all the files you want transferred, you can format the old hard drive and use it as a spare to back up your new computer...if the old hard drive works ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Inch-SA...136897?hash=item2814b59741:g:-ucAAOSwxcRW9N5~

You can get an IDE or SATA housing for a little less.

ampaterry and Broot like this.
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys -
    No, Chief, those were not my EXACT words - -

BlackEagle, I ordered one of those - sounds like a really good idea -

BlackEagle and Broot like this.