I Won, Now What?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 2:29:48 pm)
    Reply I Won, Now What?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Over on GB I won a new Win Model 70 Classic Sporter LT in 7MM STW. Blowed me away because I've won one other thing in my life, a $45 bingo jackpot while stationed at Madrid, Spain in 1964.

I shoot the old stuff, 30'06, 250/3000, 243, etc and am astounded at the powder charge this cartridge consumes to get the slug down range, 70 plus grains of IMR4350. Has anyone here shot this monster? Can a 120 pound 14 year old grandson handle it or will it sour him. I ask cuz I don't want to try it and find out if someone has already suffered the pain.

Thoughts?

Clouder..

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/20/03 2:33:20 pm)
    Re: I Won, Now What?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Congrats Whiteclouder. I am sure your grandson will love it. I have never shot that caliber but if he can handle the -06 I would bet he can handle the new rifle as well, 14 year old boys tend to be bullet proof.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

ysacres
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 2:54:26 pm)
    Reply Re: I Won, Now What?
    Congrats Clouder!!
    Iv'e shot a 7mm STW and a 300 Rem ultra mag, Defently not for the faint of heart, big bang and big recoil. Your grandson will surley enjoy having a rifle that will kill anything that roams North America. If he's two small to shoot it now! just wait three more years. my 02
    X gets the firearms flying fickle finger of fate award!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 3:05:08 pm)
    Way to go, Clouder - !

Your 7mm STW is not that far removed from my 7mm Dakota. Yes, they have a lot of bark and bite. Have mine tamed down a mite with the addition of a Bell & Carlson thumbhole stock with a straight line comb and Decelerator pad.

With the advent of the shorter case "ultra" and "short" magnums, these longer cased cartridges will probably take a back seat in popularity for a while. When all the fuss and dust settles, they will once again prove their worth. Know I wouldn't trade mine for the world.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 3:24:06 pm)
    I'd be willing to bet that the weight of the rig, the type, if any, of recoil pad, and the stock design will have a lot to do with how well your grandson can handle the felt recoil of the STW.

I've only shot just the one, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how light the recoil seemed. Truth be told, I couldn't have told you the difference between the one I shot and my favorite .280. Of course, I was using good ear protection, and you know, I'm sure, that a lot of what we perceive as recoil is actually the loud blast that happens at the same time we are being punched in the shoulder!

Congratulations on the win, Clouder.

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 3:45:40 pm)
    Reply I Won, Now What?
    280:

First, thanks for the heads-up. I would never have seen it had you not pointed it out. The page fills up so fast over there that during the weekend I miss most of the posts.

Brandon is a shooter, has been since he was about 7. I start them young. We always use ear protection, something I learned the hard way. Eh, what'd ya say?

Reading the specs, I think that 7MM will make a hell of a long range chuck rifle, if we can afford to feed it.

Maybe we can shoot some 1000 yard squirrels.

I will not question a gift, I simply appreciate it, but do you have any idea why a man wants to give a $750 rifle away to a total stranger, and one I know he doesn't particularly care for? Says a whole lot for his integrity, I'll say that. I'm not sure I could have done that if I were in his shoes and drew say, darrell or bullzeye. I'd like to think I would carry through but --- whew, that would be a test.

Clouder..

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 3:47:32 pm)
    clouder, if your grandson has shot some of the big rifles he should be able to handle this one.

Maybe there's bullets out there that are of a lesser grain so as to give him a chance to work up to full loads? You got me on this one because I don't do that caliber.

What basically has he shot so far caliber wise? That's going to be something you need to look at before you can decide if he might care to try this one.

And as I said over on GB - congrats Clouder!

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 3:47:35 pm)
    It's totally neet that you won..

"Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 4:09:40 pm)
    Reply Tlynn
    He has shot a light Husqvarna 243, Sako .223, and couple bull-barrell chuck-rifles in 22-250 and 25-06. I've not let him have the '06 or the 270 yet because most of the shooting is off the bench and as you probably know, if the target ain't got fur the ol' smokepole seems to buck more.

I'll give the new one a go and see. Like I said, I was just testing the waters to see if someone had experience with it. I remember my first 300 H&H at 12 years of age. The man who did that for (to) me, did me a great disservice.

Clouder..

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 4:48:23 pm)
    Re: Tlynn
    Husqvarna makes rifles? I had always thought they made motorcycles untilmy wife pointed out they make sewing machines.

{ONE PARTICULAR HARBOUR}{Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen Shop}

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 5:38:23 pm)
    Reply Re: Tlynn
    KLOWDSER, after all the badmouthin (heheh) U done to dem dudes, tis only fitting U should get the brass ring. Hey that badboy aint cost U a dime, Y not have a "Boss" type system put on? Buddy of mine had it done to a 300W.M. says now it feels like a 243

PS, I seen the "ad" but since it didn't include the #s 22 I said fahgeddaboddit. That sucker mite even put LTS 17HMR to shame...........at 1000yds...

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 6:10:54 pm)
    Reply Congratulations!
    and O'yeah...There is no such thing as free!...but enjoy the sheet outa the freebie...seems funny to me that outa all them names that was put in the hat...yours was pulled out...Hmmmm...! ( I know ya was a thinkin' the same thang)...

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/20/03 6:20:30 pm)
    Reply Clouder
    Congratts on winning the rifle. If he hasn't shot the '06 or 270, the 7STW is going to be extreme culture shock. My neice's husband has a 7 Rem mag in a Ruger with that skinny plastic stock. He shot it the first time and it bit him hard. He has tried changing stocks, light loads, and just about anything else he could do. He is still afraid of the gun. I would not like to see this happen with your grandson.

You are absolutely right about them paper targets, they don't have any fur. And as everybody know no fur, no adrenaline(sp). It takes me a whole summer shooting my .22, 22-250, then work my up with my .270 and 264 mag, just to hunt with my 300 win mag. and some people say I am a large man with lots of sturdy base underneath .

I know that winning the rifle is special, but like you said, why the giveway in the first place. Take the rifle and the grandson to your favorite gun dealer and find something suitable for him. That makes it more personal.

Hey, Bin Laden, our women can kick you butt!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/20/03 6:25:22 pm)
    Reply Re: Congratulations!
    What the hell, a freebie is a freebie...congratualations, Clouder.

I can't think of a more deserving individual that should have won over at brand X than you, sir. Bunch of dang young smart allecks posting over there causing stirring problems and laughing about it.

At least you don't laugh, in fact I've never heard you hee hee or chuckle chuckle one sardonic flippent hardee har har.

GG

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 6:38:05 pm)
    Re: Tlynn
    Then definitely test it out first. Closest I came to that caliber was the 7mm-08 and I personally didn't care for it - felt it kicked harder than my 30-06 or my .303.

Still maybe after a spring and summer working up to it a bit he'll like it. First rifle I shot was a 30-30 Winchester and at that point I think I only weighed 90 lbs. It hurt but for me it was fun watching the can go in the air - admittedly not as much fun and nowhere near the adrenalin of hunting.

(1/20/03 6:47:09 pm)
    Reply Outstanding....
    Congrats!

And you won at bingo, too?

Some people have all the luck.

whiteclouder
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 7:04:39 pm)
    Reply gunguy
    There is Clouder on TFF, TFE, PU, GB etc and then there is Wally at ease with a cup of coffee on the deck or with a beer around a campfire. They are not the same people. Don't know why but that's the way it is.

I've a sneaking suspicion that Wally and gunguy's alter ego would get along famously.

Clouder..

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 8:41:52 pm)
    Reply O'tay...
    Let me know how the rifle shoots, when ya get it. Course ya mite hav ta shower after...

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/20/03 8:57:17 pm)
    Reply Re: O'tay...
    Beer at the campfire......that`s all I needed..

Send me: LTS $50.00 and I will take care of this problem???
    Ok, just send me $50.00........gotta support my new dating habit

LTS

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/20/03 8:59:52 pm)
    Whiteclouder, I just had a thought. Find someone to make a .257STW barrel for it. You will have to reload for the 257STW round, but I hear it is a really fun extreme varmint round and a good hunting round. I saw an article a few years ago about it. It would give your grandson a very special firearm.

Maybe you could trade your barrel in on a new one.

www.tacticalstocks.com/gunsmithing.htm

www.montanarifleman.com/tech_barrels.html

Hey, Bin Laden, our women can kick you butt!

Edited by: shooter22 at: 1/20/03 9:13:45 pm

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (1/20/03 9:23:13 pm)
    Could be.

GG

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/20/03 10:11:53 pm)
    Clouder -

No problem with the heads up; I just happened to stumble into GB not long after Aglore posted that you had won, and figured a congratulatory e-mail was appropriate.

I know what you mean about the integrity issue. Even in my little giveaway at GB, I was really glad that I didn't draw certain people's names (which ones those were, I ain't saying!). I would hope that I would have done the right and honorable thing, but ............... just glad that I wasn't put to the test.

Sounds like you are doing right by your grandson, easing him into the larger calibers slowly. No sense turning him off by pushing things too fast and too hard. In the end, you are probably in the best position to judge when the time is right for him to start moving up in terms of caliber.

Good luck, and I hope that the boy turns out to be a Hell of a shootist.

.280freak

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/22/03 12:56:13 am)
    Congrats Oh Great One Of White? Clouds!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/22/03 9:38:24 pm)
    Reply But...
    Some here...dubbed the initials...SP!.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.