The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I've inherited this rifle from a family member.
I've been searching trough the internet with the markings on the gun to establish the manufacturer of this rifle but so far no luck.
It's a calibre 45-70 bolt action rifle.

I'll post pictures of the rifle. Unfortunately I can't get a clear picture of the markings on the rifle yet but there's PT in it and some kind of arrows and something that looks like two two y's : yy PT and arrows ....
Once I get a clean and clear picture of the markings I'll post them here

Many thanks for the help !!! :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I'm not sure what it is.

But, if you would post a few pictures of the things that can be used to identify a gun we might have a better chance.

There looks like a logo on the butt plate but I can't make out what it is.

Also, is there anything stamped on the barrel, brand, model, caliber...anything?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey there ! Thanks for the reply...
Well the things on the butt plate doesn't seem to be a logo but nevertheless I'll post a pic of it ... The calibre stamp says 70. I'll do my best to get a usefull picture of the stamps on the barrel...
It's gonna come up in my next post...

Hope that I'll get my answers then... :)

PS like your Reagan quote : In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. ~ Ronald Reagan
This is true around the world... even so in Europe... Really good quote !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I got a closer look to the rifle and here's what I've found. markings are following 76 and 10.5 also has said in first post I see something looking like two y's and PT then two arrows forms pointing towards each other.... Still can't get a good picture of those markings though so I'm gonna make a drawing and post a picture of it....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so the markings has posted previously are 76 and 10.5 also here's a drawing of the other marking of which I couldn't make a usefull photograph... (bear with me I'm not a great artist :p )

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I believe it's European, maybe French since I found an old french proof mark like the crossed lightning bolt arrow thing.

The P.T. means Proof Tested for smokeless powder.

I'm still digging for the other two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe it's European.

The P.T. means Proof Tested for smokeless powder.

I'm still digging for the other two.
Great !!! We're getting there !!! Thanks for helping me on this one !
I'm rather new in all this. I've always been interested in firearms but never had one of my own. I'm considering getting my hunting permit after passing the required exams so I can legally keep and use this rifle. (For the time being it's stored with a friend who has all the right papers to legally keep this kind of weapons). What I hope to know is if it's a descent rifle and know the manufacturer and type so I can get to learn all specs I need to know. Unfortunately the friend who is safegarding it for me is only into specific brands of hunting rifles so he can't help me with the identification...
That's how I got to this forum... Seems I've been knocking on the right door :):):):)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
:D You might be knocking on the right door...but I'm just about to give up and say I don't know what it is.

More pictures of the receiver from above or a good side shot might help. I looked for the past hour and still don't know exactly what your rifle is.

I'll look some more later, have to leave for a while.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Is it rifled or smoothbore?
I'm thinking a shotgun as that bolt doesn't look like it would contain very many rounds of a rifle cartridge. (45/70 wil usually drop into a .410 chamber.)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
It might be a shotgun as I don't see any front sight, but don't know if that's a sight base or what at the breech.

(A .45 Colt round will chamber in a 410, but a 45-70 round should not as it has a larger base diameter)

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
I coppied the picture the OP posted, and enlarged it 200%. There is a bead on the end of the barrel, it's a shot gun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it rifled or smoothbore?
I'm thinking a shotgun as that bolt doesn't look like it would contain very many rounds of a rifle cartridge. (45/70 wil usually drop into a .410 chamber.)
It's actually smoothbore. I've just asked my friend to check...
What kind of ammo has to be used in this shotgun then ?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
10.5mm is the metric designation for the .410 cartridge.
76mm is a common marking for a 3" chamber. 70mm is a common marking for a 2.75" chamber. Whatever the marking is, that's the chamber length.
If it's a 76mm chamber, then you can fire 3" .410 shotshells in it (or any shorter length .410 as well).

I have no clue as to the maker though. Nothing that I've ever seen before and I don't recognize and of the posted proofmarks.
It looks to be pretty modern with the machine pressed stippling on the grip and fore-end.

No importer or brand name markings on it anywhere?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It might be a shotgun as I don't see any front sight, but don't know if that's a sight base or what at the breech.

(A .45 Colt round will chamber in a 410, but a 45-70 round should not as it has a larger base diameter)
I thought it was a 45-70 because I had an empty round (coming from the same relative from whom i got the gun) and it fitted perfectly into the chamber....
But has it is smoothbore and not rifled it must be a 410 I guess with the info I read here...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10.5mm is the metric designation for the .410 cartridge.
76mm is a common marking for a 3" chamber. 70mm is a common marking for a 2.75" chamber. Whatever the marking is, that's the chamber length.
If it's a 76mm chamber, then you can fire 3" .410 shotshells in it (or any shorter length .410 as well).

I have no clue as to the maker though. Nothing that I've ever seen before and I don't recognize and of the posted proofmarks.
It looks to be pretty modern with the machine pressed stippling on the grip and fore-end.

No importer or brand name markings on it anywhere?
Well the markings I've drawn are the only ones I can find on the gun...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.