The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good condition M1 Carbine. I am looking to sell I have been studying a little bit on what the Gun may be worth and want to ask what others might think the firearm is worth. Serial # 4277930 IBM Good condition. Not an import! I bought it originally in about 1988. There is 1-5 round clip, 2-10 round clips, and a 20 round clip. Also inclusive with the sale of this M1 is the Bayonet, shoulder strap and the canvas magazine holder seen on the stock. This is not an import rifle! Thank You for your Input, greatly appreciated.
IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

View attachment 73199

View attachment 73200

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Bill is correct about the magazines. You have a typical "mixmaster" with typical replaced parts, either late WWII or post war. The carbine alone is about $650, the reproduction canvas case about $5, the magazines about $60, the postwar sling about $15. If the bayonet is with scabbard and has a WWII leatther handle it could be worth about $100. If the handle is postwar plastic, about $35. The stock is postwar and the serial no. and the serial has been scratched on the bolt. This canknock $50 off the value if the buyer is particular.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the corrections on the magazines. How do you know the stock is post war is it a result of not having any markings? or the serial #? The Bayonet has a leather handle but no scabbard. I knew the serial # scratched into the bolt would be a issue. I have also read that many of the manufacturers used each others parts if necessary and that some of the M1 leaving the factory did not have all matching parts, isn't this true?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The forearm is fat so it is a postwar stock from a rebuild facility. Yes, some parts came from different makers, but your carbine is s mixmaster made from many incorrect parts. The bayo may be worth $60 or so if never sharpened.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Most of the M1 carbines you come across are post ww2 rebuilds. You are correct, even when new, many were already mixmasters because the dozen or so manufacturers would swap parts to keep the flow of arms going. The rebuilds are immediately identifiable by bayonet lug, although a few were manufactured with lugs very late in the war.

Here, on the east coast, I wouldn't take less than $800 for the gun and clips.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
I bought an IBM sans bayonet and sling for $700 just prior to the current hysteria.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts