The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
What's the old saying, "you can choose your friends but, you can't choose your family."

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Welcome aboard, and that is a sweet collection your father had, thanks for sharing.

I hear you about families, after my wife’s grandpa died, and after the funeral, his wife asked my two brother in laws and me into her bedroom and on the bed was his two deer rifles and his 1897 Winchester 12 gauge, and since we had all hunted with him we could all take one. One of the rifles was the .300 Savage that was converted by savage from a military 7x57 rifle in the 1920s after a deal with a South American country had fallen through after a coup, that they then sold as spotters. Kinda neat, a Sporter” with stripper clip guides, and that was the rifle he let me borrow to hunt deer with him. His other rifle was his personal Krag carbine, completely stock except for the 4x Weaver in a sidemount. Since I lived in Ohio at the time and couldn’t use rifles for deer, I let them pick first and of course they took the rifles, and that’s how I got my ‘97. The .300 was taken by my wife’s sisters husband, and they later divorced but through some “creative” chicanery during the divorce my nephew got to keep it so I’m happy I know it’s in a good home, and he’s taken a few deer with it. I even gave him the dies for it that I inherited because nobody else reloaded at the time, that I had originally bought as a gift for gramps and that got my nephew into reloading. But my wife’s ne’er do well younger brother of course grabbed the Krag, and it makes me sick to think he probably either sold it or traded it for drugs before he even left town. 😔

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am back from a week away and guess what. I was looking in my gun safe and looked under some boxes on a shelf and there were a half dozen that I had completely forgotten I had. I need to figure out what they are and if they should be included in the display I am putting together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I was planning to display the following guns in this order (which is mostly by date):

Top row: the flintlock I asked about here, Colt Army 1862, Colt Army Single Action 1890
Next row: Winchester Model 1897 1909
Next row: Mauser 1910 sometime between 1909-1912, Colt M1911 1917, Luger (haven't been able to date 30s or 40s)
Next row: M1 Carbine 1942 or 43
Next row: M1 Garand 1942
Next row: Mosin Nagant 1942

Wasn't planning to display: Ruger 22 1964, early 70s PPK, three 22 rifles.

Now I have the ones in the photo to think about. The brass one with the four barrels is marked as "C. Sharps Patent 1859" I haven't looked closely at the others yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
After a small amount of research, I have a small amount of information on the six guns in the photo above.

Top left: Derringer Philadelphia Tip Up 1874-1879 (.22)
Top Middle: Iver Johnson Defender 1875-1889 (apparently a knockoff of the 1874 Colt New Line Pony) (.32 rimfire)
Top right: no idea. The only markings on it are a serial number on the bottom of the barrel (it is rimfire and looks about the same size as the Defender so .32, maybe a bit larger. I need to measure.)
Bottom left: Derringer Model 10 made by General Precision Corp. I can read that on the box but can't find anything about it. (.22)
Bottom Middle: Remington Model 95 1880-1910 (.41 rimfire)
Bottom Right: Sharps Pepperbox 1859-1868 (This was patented as a revolver, but it is a four barrel pepperbox) (.22)

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
I'd put

French dueling pistol.
Flintlock
Circa mid 1700's

I'm more inclined to think it's French.
Just a thought here, French origin is my thought too, but possibly theese were holster pistols. These were not uncommon, carried on the saddle of some gentleman 's horse.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts