The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from France
could you identify this Harrington and Richardson shotgun in 12 mm caliber that belonged to my grandfather and tell me which model it is?
I would like to restore it and for that I would need a picture of the same gun in good condition.
I hope that the pictures I enclose will help you, I can make others if necessary.

more, I'm looking for a butt plate for this gun, could you tell me the reference that would be suitable at a dealer?
thank you in advance

Door Wood Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior
Wood Trigger Material property Revolver Rectangle
Handwriting Wood Font Flooring Grass

Attachments

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
H&R Model 1905 small frame, made from 1906 to 1915. The 12mm shotshell was a predecessor of the .410 gauge shotshell. It's a 2" .410, with a black powder load.
This is what it looked like new:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Yes, that is definitely a Model 1905 small frame shotgun.
I do believe that the pic posted is what your shotgun would have looked like when new . This would have pertained to the finish and colour case-hardening and not to the pic of the shotgun itself.
I hope I am making sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much, it is very clear and you have answered my questions perfectly.

Do you know of a dealer where I can find a vintage buttplate? or at least a copy.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Getting an original butt plate may be next to impossible to get.
I would suggest that you get an old butt plate that has more or less the same screw holes, and then reshape the plate to fit your shotgun.
Your shotgun is well-worn and would cost a small fortune to restore to factory condition.
Since it was your grandfather's shotgun, I would leave it as is, excluding the butt-plate, because if restored you will lose all the little nicks, scratches, and all the handling marks your grandfather put on that shotgun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you very much and I will follow your suggestion as I was planning to leave it in condition after cleaning it and replacing the butt plate

Do you think I can shoot with only a few modern cartridges?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Only after having your shotgun checked by a qualified gunsmith.
2” Eley cartridge (12 mm) or the 2 1/2″ shell only. Anything else would be dangerous, and you could lose a few body parts.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
thank you for your answer,

however the model in the picture does not have a hinge pin like mine

Was it an option or a different model?
That was the next model where the removable hinge pin was deleted. It was the only photos I could find of one that looked original. Reproduction buttplates:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts