The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm trying to identify these two antique I believe middle eastern guns, they are black powder, percausion. Theres no visable markings and ones about 26 inches in length and the other 22-24. I just can't seem to find any pictures that look like them online. Please help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Both are crudely made and typical middle East products. The pictures are very poor, but it looks to me like the gun in the first picture may never have been intended as a firing weapon, only as a tourist souvenir. The second gun might have been intended as a real firearm, but it also is a poorly made copy in part of a British Enfield musket. The stocks, of course, are unique to that area but also are common in tourist pieces.

"Guns" like that were once rare in the U.S. because few Americans travelled to that part of the world. Today, for better or worse, we have many troops in that area. They are not permitted to bring or send back modern weapons, so many buy those guns, often paying high prices for what they have been led to believe are valuable antiques.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jim, I was just trying to get an idea I know the person my family got them from was a diplomat back in the 50's or so and when he passed he left these to my father. Just couldn't find anything like them on the web.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can't back it up with facts. but I have heard these called "camel guns". because the curve of the stock was placed under the arm pit when fired while on camel back.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I can't back it up with facts. but I have heard these called "camel guns". because the curve of the stock was placed under the arm pit when fired while on camel back.

Arabs aren't known for their use of deodorant, so you could sniff the stock to see if the "under the arm pit" premise is true....:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts