The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been offered to buy a Thompson smg, and would like some info on the model by the experts! As far as i can tell it is a M1928A1 with smooth barrel and simplified rear sights(late production model?). Can anyone give me some more info about this weapon? How rare is it, how much would it be worth, etc. The seller wont name a price, but has told me to make an offer. Unfortunately i only have two pretty poor photos of it. It is the lower of the two thompsons. It has "police" stamped on the side.
Appreciate any answers!

View attachment 129144 View attachment 129145

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Who made it has a large amount to do with value.

Gen. Thompson did not have the ability to make them, so contracted with Colt. They weren't a big seller, and most sat in the warehouse.

WW2 arrived and all the unsold Colts were sold. Thompson tried to get Colt to make more and Colt refused.

Thompson contracted with Savage to make them, and, finally started making them under his company name - Auto Ordnance Company.

War ended, surplus Thompsons coming out the wazoo, no one buying new, AOC went belly-up.

The company name, the manufacturing facility and the warehouse full of pieces-parts were sold. Several times.

The last owner was, again (they bought the name) AOC, in West Hurley New York.

AOC was sold again, to Kahr Arms, but that was after the '86 "can't buy new machine guns" law, so it don't matter.

The Colt guns are the most expensive, followed by the early Savage, then the late Savage (smooth barrel, L-sight), the AOC wartime, and the West Hurley are the cheapest.

Never heard of a 1928A1. There was the 1928A (A for Automatic) and the 1928AC (Automatic with a Compensator).

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Just to be sure, you do know this is a machine gun and will require Class Three paperwork and fees.

·
Super Moderator
38,386 Posts
Just to be sure, you do know this is a machine gun and will require Class Three paperwork and fees.
Not where he lives. If his IP is correct, he is in Norway.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
25,868 Posts
Good Morning All...I was getting ready to ask one of those proverbial "dumb questions".
Oh shucks, you must have noted already that I have asked my share of them but this
time it was going to be the difference between a sub-machine gun and a machine gun..
Went over to Google and their explanations wasn't a short response but a lengthy one
like they were trying to.......well, impress us guys who need to ask questions, dumb or
not: Chief
What's the difference between a submachine gun and a machine ...

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-a-submachine-gun-and-a-machin...
They are essentially the same thing with the main characteristic being that they both use a ... The British Army, Russian Army, Finns, etc. used submachine gun as the term for theirs while the Italian Army's inventors used machine pistol.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
In the US, the gun (if legitimate and legal) could bring $30,000 or more.
Outside the US, I have no idea.

·
Registered
16,886 Posts
Don't know what Quora or Google or Wiki said, but it's simple.

A machine gun fires rifle ammo. 1917 Browning - 30/06. M60 - 308. MG42 - 7.97 x 57. Vickers - 303 Brit. Rifle ammo.

Sub machine gun fires pistol ammo. Usually 9 x 19 or 45, some 380, some 32, and the com-block stuff was mostly 7.62 x 25.

Reactions: shotterbug17

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never heard of a 1928A1. There was the 1928A (A for Automatic) and the 1928AC (Automatic with a Compensator).
Thanks for the reply. m1928A1 is a common designation as far as i can tell. Just google it. Even says so on the wikipedia page

1 - 8 of 8 Posts